Diary of a Mad Writer



    Dear Diary,
Today I rolled out of bed at 5:55.  I should have gotten up at 5:00.  Then, I could have written my blog, had a breakfast that was nutritional, and gone for a walk with my dog.  Instead, my eye opened and I stared at the clock.

Ug.

 Have I told you I have a twelve-year-old.  I had to wake him up.  He's no fun to wake up.  I could write a whole blog about him.  Yes, he expected me to make him breakfast.  I told him cereal requires no adult supervision.  He was not impressed.  The dog also wanted me to supply breakfast.  I glared at them and stared at the clock.

Ug.

We left the house at 6:45.  Fifteen minutes late.  There was an argument about skateboard and scooter being in the middle of the yard instead of put away on the patio.  The dog offered to come with me.  She even suggested we leave the kid at home.  A block into our drive to the carpool mom, Mike decided his skateboard and scooter did need to be on the patio.  We turned around.  He put his belongings away.  I threatened dire predictions of no video games, no favorite food, and no smiles.  And, I stared at the clock.

Carpool mom needed to talk.

Ug.

I got to work with five minutes to spare.  Unfortunately, work is not writing romance novels where heroines roll out of bed at 9:00 and put on their size five cool clothes complemented by five inch heels.  No bagel graced my morning, like it might a heroine.  The heroine's dog, of course, isn't SHEDDING as much as mine (Achoo!!!)  And, if the heroine has a kid, he/she is a charming kid whose only flaw is he/she happens to be a secret baby.

My kid couldn't keep a secret if you paid him.

I spent my day conferencing with the youth that will make up our future.  They are awesome, funny, and smart.  Don't believe everything the television tells you about this generation.  

Nine hours later, I arrived back home.  I stopped at the tax guy and picked up the BAD BAD BAD news.  Then, I called hubby and told him to make rice and cook the corn while I ran into Albertson's and purchased an already cooked chicken.  

This evening I returned home at 5:55.  Son was at the skateboard park with the skateboard he'd stored on the patio. Hubby was watching the news and way behind on rice and corn because he loves the television.  Have you ever noticed how many heroes don't watch television.  All I can say I know more about Building Alaska that any size five heroine does!

Dishes are done, laundry is waiting, and I'm mad at myself for skipping around today's to-do list.

But, I got a hug from a twelve-year-old and my hubby helped with dinner.  I'm so glad I held out for a hero.

Speaking of Holding Out for a Hero, look at my April release.  <sigh>
The hero is awesome, funny, and smart.
The heroine is NOT size five.  I did that on purpose.
Okay, she's pregnant.
Go ahead, read it and smile.




Comments

  1. Love this post :) Sounds so familiar! My kids are two and five, so there are lots of adventures on a daily basis. Today I spent my work time trying to navigate the program I needed for my day job, which was down. Of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate when it goes down. I wasn't on my computer much except for showing grades. And, I'm so careful that I have hard copy too for grades. I have loved all the ages but sure miss the little one stage.

      Delete
  2. Love it! Real life isn't quite so pretty, but it's worth it all... But working a full time job, raising a family and writing on the side--that's a tall order! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now at church we're doing Leadership Training for Christ and I'm in charge of both drama and puppets. That's a third job LOL. And, you're right, real life isn't pretty, but it's real :)

      Delete
  3. You made me smile, mostly because my kids are all grown up and I can be nostalgic about those days. Can't wait to dig into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this and you still had time to write in your diary. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do keep a journal, it's just more fragmented. I jot down things I'm supposed to remember, goals, and lessons that need to be learned. Diaries are much more fun.

      Delete
  5. Your day sounds quite wonderful--if busy--to me. I bet you got a few hugs in there, too, and think of the difference you make not just with your own family, but the kids you work with.

    I hope you have another full and rewarding day today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, today's my easy day. I got up at 6:22. That's sleeping late.
      And, today I have two hours to write on my new book. Yeah!
      Maybe the dog will hug me. I'll go ask.

      Delete
  6. I swear--you are so funny, you should write a book. Okay, I know, old dumb joke. I enjoyed your day probably more than you did. I never realized our heroes don't watch TV, but you're right. Certainly explains their hero status right from the get-go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hero loves television. And, the older he gets, the more he loves it. With two men the house, I never get to watch my shows. I piece movies. I've been trying to get through a two hour mystery for the last week and a half.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I agree, you are funny--maybe you should write for TV! Actually, it's interesting that radio and TV play specific roles in fiction in general. Our characters don't spend much time on the couch with their feet up watching sports or sitcoms. On the other hand, computers and cell phones are never too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that when I was young, cell phones didn't exist.
      Of course, I'm glad tattoos weren't in vogue, too.

      Delete
  8. Your posts always make my day! Sorry I'm late posting on here, but I, too, rolled out of bed late, got to work late and couldn't seem to get things together today. Hope the rest of your week goes better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladies, I was lucky enough to have dinner with Leann as well as fellow Heartwarming author Patricia Forsythe and Merrillee Whren last Friday. I had a work conference in their town and stayed late just to visit with them. Fun, fun, fun.

      Delete
  9. Pam, This was hilarious and Oh, SO TRUE that book boyfriend/heroes don't watch television. Sometimes they cook. But YOU MADE MY DAY!
    And my kid...was like your kid. EXACTLY! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah, Pam...don't you just love it when life is like a sitcom? LOL. Happy release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, Pam! I'm REALLY late reading this but you just made my morning. Real life versus fantasy life really can be hilarious. And, hey (staring at one piece of stale bread crust left in the bag) where's my bagel?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment