Sit Down Saturday with T.R. McClure

Welcome to Sit Down Saturday! Today we're celebrating the release of Deal of a Lifetime, THIRD in the Home to Bear Meadows series.


So, T.R., where did you get the idea for this novel?


I was checking into Century Farm status for the farm where my grandparents raised my father and his siblings. I realized this is a big deal! But what if you were the one who had to stay behind, giving up your dreams, to qualify?

In the background of your book cover, I see an airplane. How in the world does Century Farm designation tie in with an airport?


My heroine, Serafina Callahan, thought someday she'd be flying out of that regional airport, on her way to bigger and better things. But she just happens to be the last generation to live on her family's produce farm. According to her Great-Aunt Hope, they can apply for Century Farm status in just a couple years. The problem is, when both her parents died suddenly, Sera put her dreams on hold until her little brother was raised. She thought then she'd be able to return to school in the city. But her aunt has other ideas.
Could this finally be her time? reads the blurb on the back cover.

In looking at the cover, if you could add a caption, what would it say?


Adventure is just an airplane ride away. That's Alexander Kimmel, big-time city lawyer on the front cover. He tries to entice Sera to go away with him. His motives may not be entirely pure, however.

Your theme seems to be family obligation, am I right?


Exactly. Sera has put her dreams on hold for her brother and her great aunt. Now she has an offer to buy the family farm, which would give her the money to return to school. But her family doesn't want things to change. Of course not! They're happy as horses in a big field of fresh clover! But Sera? Not so much.

Who was your favorite character and why?


In this book, my favorite character is probably Shawn, the quiet, seventy-something handyman with the twinkling green eyes. Despite the trials of his upbringing, he's accepted his circumstances and made the best of a bad situation, which is an admirable trait.
I was going to ask if anyone's ever had to do the same but the more I think about it, I'll bet we probably all have, at one point or another in our lives.


If you could pick fictional characters to play the hero and heroine, who would they be?


Linus and Sabrina from the movie Sabrina. While the 1995 remake stars Harrison Ford and Julie Ormond, I just found out the 1954 version, which I've never seen but now plan to, starred Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn, who was just on the cover of People magazine. What a gorgeous couple and a classy pair.
As a matter of fact, Audrey Hepburn barely survived the German occupation of Holland during World War Two. Talk about making the best of things!


What is your favorite scene?


The tarmac scene, of course. Should I stay or should I go? Oh! I think I'm having a Bogart moment! Casablanca has a tarmac scene, too!



Tell us one thing you learned during research.


There is never just one thing.
I learned Canada has Century Farm designation as well as the U.S. This designation is for farms or ranches that have been in the same family for 100 years or more. This number has steadily dwindled over the last century, from a high of 6.8 million in 1935 to just over two million in 2002. Some of the decline is due to urbanization and some to economics, which is a big issue in my neck of the woods.
I also learned who starred in the 1954 movie Sabrina!

What music would match the mood of this novel?


I look at the cover and immediately I hear Frank Sinatra crooning in my ear "Come Fly With Me".

What do you plan to work on next?


As usual, I have a lot of ideas. Sara's brother Chance, the country singer, definitely has a story to tell.
I've also been wondering about a couple who stopped at The Wildflower on their way through Bear Meadows in Wanted: The Perfect Mom. The were on an educational vacation, if you recall, on their way through Pennsylvania from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg.

Although the grandparents were having a good time, as grandparents often do, things seemed a little tense with the couple, parents of twin teenagers and a toddler. I wonder how things are going for them.
I also have an idea for a Christmas story set at the famous markets in Germany. Always fun to go abroad, right?

What are you reading for pleasure right now?


I'd like to get started on that Heartwarming Reading Wish List Pamela posted last Tuesday. 
I just finished The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Stedman. Her first novel! Wonderful use of setting and character development.
And after seeing in the news about the World War Two ship USS Indianapolis being found, I'd like to read the book of the same name.
That should get me to Christmas, don't you think?

Anything else you'd like to share?


I just updated my website. Please stop by and let me know what you think! Suggestions are welcome!
And, as always, ENJOY THE READ!

www.trmcclure.com
 www.facebook.com/trmcclureauthor 
www.twitter.com/@trmcclureauthor




















Comments

  1. Congratulations on the release of Deal of a Lifetime. It sounds wonderful, T.R., and I look forward to reading it.

    I wasn't aware that there was such a think as Century Designation for farms. I did know, though, that classic cars could get a special historical designation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! Do you have a classic car?

      Delete
    2. No I don't. I kept my last Corvette nearly long enough...but didn't quite get there! :)

      Delete
  2. Great sit down, T.R. Like Kate, I'd never heard of Century Designation. Congratulations on your release! I look forward to reading it. I love the song, "Come Fly With Me"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's an old song, I wasn't sure how many people would remember it. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Deal of a Lifetime sounds like a terrific read and I look forward to it, T.R. The Century Farm designation is interesting and perhaps similar to Heritage Homes? Congratulations on this release and yes to that Christmas market story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Heritage Homes. Sounds like another possibility for a story. And thanks for the encouragement for the market story!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the release of Deal of a Lifetime. I look forward to reading it. You had me with the airplane! And then "Come Fly with Me." Great stuff. I'm joining in here. I didn't know about the Century Designation, either. And those dwindling numbers. That says a lot, doesn't it? Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, which is why so many farm families are trying different things, like barn weddings and corn mazes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. I found myself answering the questions for myself. Again a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on Deal of a Lifetime, T.R.! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished reading Deal of a Lifetime, and highly recommend everyone buy it. What a great story. Looking for more in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your release--it sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story sounds great. I can't wait to read it and learn about the Century Farm designation. I grew up on a family farm, but none of the four of us chose to become farmers. My family still owns the land, but a neighbor farms it. I suppose that scenerio is part of the reason the number of Centruy Farms is shrinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's hard to make a living and certainly not an 8 hour day. I understand the requirement for a family member to live on the farm is different in each state.

      Delete
  11. The Century Farm info is so interesting. I didn't know about that designation. As usual, you have a great Heartwarming cover. I adore the covers for this line. Your book sounds great, and now I can think of Ormond and Hepburn, Harrison and Bogart, and put them in place. All the best with this release!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous cover! Congratulations! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your choice of pics for your website, T.R! And the mention of saskatoons...:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment