Support Your Local Sheriff by Melinda Curtis

Growing up, I watched many James Garner movies, mostly because my mom loved him. And I suppose, I grew to love him, too. What's not to love about a man who plays mostly honorable characters with sly humor and wit?

So, when it came time to give the small town sheriff in my Harmony Valley series his own happily-ever-after, I submitted the proposal to Harlequin titled Support Your Local Sheriff. I didn't expect the title to make it past marketing to the cover, but it did!

Now, lest you think my book is a historical romance set in the old west...Let me reassure you that this is a contemporary romance. However, my hero, Nate Landry, does share qualities with James Garner.

They both have a dry sense of humor. They both worked in law enforcement (at least Mr. Garner did on-screen). They were both men of few words and made women's hearts swoon.

My small town sheriff has a few characteristics that make him unique. He jilted his fiancee on her wedding day (with regrets). He inherited a pink wedding dress from one of the town residents (yes, pink!). And he is determined never to have kids, which makes the appearance of his toddler son in Harmony Valley (named Duke! another ode to fav movies of the past) a tremendous surprise. Besides becoming a father, what Sheriff Nate doesn't expect is a sudden election or that the woman he loves will run against him! Tipping my hat to James Garner style heroes and on-screen roles.

Melinda Curtis is an award-winning USA Today bestseller. She writes sweet romances for Harlequin Heartwarming, sweet romantic comedies and sexier traditional romances. Support Your Local Sheriff is a Harlequin release and currently on pre-order (available in September to Harlequin Reader Club members and on October 3rd everywhere else).

Comments

  1. When I was a "tween" I had photos of James Garner all over my bulletin board, Melinda. I loved to watch his old movies and The Rockford Files. I'm looking forward to meeting Nate. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved James Garner and am looking forward to this story. It sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also a James Garner fan. I'm so glad this title made it to the cover. (Model Nate is looking pretty good on this cover, too, btw.) I feel like this is a case where the cover says so much about the story. Which sounds like a really fun one. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am a huge James Garner fan and I confess to watching his old movies on weekends. I look forward to you new book, Mel, I've loved the whole series and this one sounds terrific. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, love the title, love the cover and James Garner. I look forward to reading this installment in Harmony Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just drool over James Garner for a couple of hours. I love him in the white tuxedo. What a handsome man. I loved him all the way to his death and thought what a loss. If you book is even half like him, it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a big crush on James Garner when he starred in The Rockford Files. He was pretty darn cool as a sheriff too! A great cover and it sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up watching him in Maverick! And loved the Rockford Files. And all his movies! Love the cover and the book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. James Garner was my fave growing up. My grandmother's, too. Rockford Files (they just started rerunning these on the Hallmark Mystery channel), Maverick although I think my favorite movie with him is Victor/Victoria. So funny. Also thought he was awesome in the Maverick movie with Jodie Foster. He always struck me as such a nice guy and a gentleman. Yay! Can't wait to read this one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, adding my name to the list of James Garner fans. I recall a couple of movies more than TV, though, made when he was an older actor. The book sounds terrific. Now we can all get a crush on your hero!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, love the title and the premise, Melinda! Nate and his love will really have to fight their way to a Heartwarming ending!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love James Garner and I love your setup here. With a rival candidate, a toddler, and the promise of a sense of humor, this story sounds fantastic. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a huge fan of old movies and Support Your Local Sheriff was one of my favorites! Your story sounds amazing and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love old cowboy movies and I love your title :)! I watched a lot of James Garner too :). Looking forward to this release!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment