We Love October! | by Loree Lough and Cerella Sechrist

Since neither of us has a book due this month, we decided to focus on … October!

Photo by Kathleen Redden (used with permission)

The Old English name for the month is Winterfylleth, which refers to winter’s full moon. October’s birth stone is Red Tourmaline, and according to legend and lore, the rock promotes healing.

And, as you’re no doubt aware heard, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. Breast cancer is the second most common form of cancer in women. Early detection is of vital importance, so how about celebrating National Make a Difference Day (October 28th) a little early by scheduling a mammogram on or before the 20th … National Mammography Day. It could literally save your life. (For information about imaging centers in your area, or you need help paying for a mammogram, contact the American Cancer Society at 1.800.227.2345 or visit http://www.cancer.org or http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month )



What the American Cancer Society wants you to know:

· A woman’s chance of developing breast cancer is 1 in 8.

· All women are at risk for breast cancer.

· An estimated 200,000 new cases are expected to be diagnosed in women in the United States this year.

· Men can get breast cancer too: About 2,500 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year

· Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed non-skin cancer in women.

· About 40,000 breast cancer deaths are expected this year. Don’t become a statistic!

· Stay healthy: maintain a healthy weight, exercise, and reduce alcohol consumption.

· Early detection saves lives; the American Cancer Society recommends yearly mammograms starting at age 40.


October 19th is National Seafood Bisque Day. What kind of friends would we be if we didn’t share a delicious seafood bisque recipe?


~~~



And did you know that that we celebrate National Dessert Day on the 14th and National Chocolate Cupcake Day on the 18th? Well, now that you do…there’s dessert!




By the way? In celebration of October 16th, National Dictionary Day, we looked up the words knock-knock, because the 31st is…you guessed it: National Knock-Knock Jokes Day!



***

Knock-knock!

Who’s there?

Ya.

Ya who?

We’re happy to see you too!

***

Knock-knock!

Who’s there?

Orange.

Orange who?

Orange you gonna open the door?

***

Speaking of doors, we can’t think of a more perfect opening to announce this month’s prize. Simply comment below, and on October 27th, we’ll randomly choose the lucky winner of a $20 Amazon e-gift card!



Oh. And one last thing: The 29th is National Hermit Day. Why not plan to spend it with a good book (we’ve suggested two, below <g>) and a pumpkin spice latte!


Until next month, we wish you beautiful weather!

About Loree:

With nearly 7,000,000 books in circulation, best-selling author Loree Lough's titles have earned numerous 4- and 5-star reviews and industry awards. She splits her time between her home in Baltimore and a cabin in the Alleghenies (where she loves to show off her “Identify the Critter Tracks” skills). She has 115 books in print. Loree loves to hear from her readers and answers every letter, personally. Visit her at Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and www.loreelough.com!




About Cerella:

 CERELLA SECHRIST lives in York, Pennsylvania with two precocious pugs, Darcy and Charlotte, named after Jane Austen literary characters. Inspired by her childhood love of stories, she was ten years old when she decided she wanted to become an author. These days, Cerella divides her time between working in the office of her family’s construction business and as a barista to support her reading habit and coffee addiction. She’s been known to post too many pug photos on both Instagram and Pinterest. You can see for yourself by finding her online at www.cerellasechrist.com. A Song for Rory, Book #2 in her "A Findlay Roads Story" series, is her fourth Harlequin Heartwarming novel.

Comments

  1. National Hermit Day? Who knew? Wonderful post, ladies. I've always loved October as well. Unfortunately, so far this year we've had heat and oppressive humidity. I think the forecast is for this pattern to change next week. I enjoyed both of your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Jill. Maryland hasn't received the It's Fall! message, either. I'm almost afraid to wish for typical autumn weather... I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the books! Hope you'll enjoy your weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Jill! October is in my Top Ten Months, too! LOL We're stuck in a summer weather pattern, too. I'm almost afraid to say "Hope that changes, soon...", because Mother Nature is a wicked ol' broad! Thanks for stopping by, and here's hoping your weekend is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know about Naational Hermit day. I think I fit. Sometimes. I enjoyed your book Loree and I am trying to get another one of yours. 75 degrees at 9:12 am and humid. Think pea soup here. I am truly hoping we get some winter here this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...pea soup isn't one of my favorites! Hope your weather cools some, soon! As for being a hermit? I think we all fit that title at times. I know that's what I become when I'm working on a book! Good luck in the contest, m'dear, and have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  4. We get to learn so many things I doubt many of us knew through your blog post today. Love the changing leaf color photo, and yum on the seafood recipe. Laughed at the old knock knock jokes. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathleen Redden is a super-talented photographer, isn't she! The bisque is delicious; I know, because I've used that recipe! Thanks for stopping by, dear Roz. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting cow. Interrup-- Mooo!! Not a young elementary kid goes by that doesn't love this one! Thanks for the October roundup, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your knock-knock joke, MK! We're happy that you stopped by and hope your weekend is delightful! Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  6. There seems to be a day for everything! Thanks for the lovely fall pic and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, TR...there DOES seem to be a day for everything! LOL We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the recipe and the fall photo. (That Kathleen Redden is some kinda talented with a camera, isn't she!) Here's hoping you have a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the post...Hermit Day sounds good to me, too. But not as good as Dessert Day. Hope everyone is having a good fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, Virginia! Given a choice between 'being' a hermit and enjoying National Dessert Day, well, the choice is simple! LOL We hope you're enjoying this gorgeous season, and wish you a happy weekend!

      Delete
  8. What a fun post. I haven't heard a good knock-knock in a long time, and the soup sounds wonderful. I always thought October birthstone was opal, but I think it must have two. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's birthday was November, and she always claimed Opal was her birthstone. Who knows! LOL The soup IS terrific, Beth, and I'm with you on the knock-knock jokes! Wishing you a wonderful weekend, m'friend!

      Delete
  9. HAHA that is a new one: national hermit day. this is a great post. those knock knock jokes take me back to when our son was young. He had so many jokes for years. Have a great weekend.
    quilting dash lady at Comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock-knock jokes take me back ... just a few weeks: I have an eight year old grandson! LOL. So happy you stopped by, Lori! Wishing you luck in the drawing and a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post ladies! Who knew men could get breast cancer as well as women.
    I love October! Even tho my mom and Grandpa died in October.
    I love the fall colors but I don't like the heat that comes with it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...far more men are diagnosed with breast cancer than we realize! October is definitely a good month. Now, if only Mother Nature would get the "cool things down a tad!" message... LOL Good luck in the drawing, and have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  11. I never knew there was a national hermit day!! I kind of like that idea :) It seems like there is a national day for everything now!!! The recipe sounds yummy and easy to make even for me. lol Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Darlene ... There's a 'day' for just about everything, it seems! The soup is fantastic, easy to make, and always a huge hit around my house. If you make it, let me know how many "Delicious!" votes you get! Wishing you luck in the drawing and a terrific weekend!

      Delete
  12. I love you ladies' posts! I'm there for the hermit day--I think there should be one a month. The recipe is wonderful and I have my mammogram appointment for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We all need an excuse to hunker down and chill. It's just a shame Hermit Day only comes once a year! I'm tickled pink (pun intended!) that you scheduled a mammogram! I'm here praying for 100% perfect results. Enjoy your weekend, Liz! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Wow, and actual day to be a hermit, and I will gladly spend the day curled up with a pumpkin spice coffee and read. Thank you Loree for sharing this blog, I'm enjoying it very much. Have a great day all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by, Kelly! Here's hoping your Hermit Day will be restful and enjoyable! Good luck in the drawing, and have a good weekend, too!

      Delete
  14. What a fun post. The knock-knock joke made me smile. Thanks for giving attention to breast cancer and for reminding us to get a mammogram. And for telling us about all of those National Days. I really like the hermit and dessert ones. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, Laurie! Yeah, those knock-knock jokes never get old, do they! Well, almost never. LOL Wishing you luck in the drawing and a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  15. WOW! A lot of days to look forward to! Cupcakes and hermits!!
    Love the picture. I can never decide if I prefer spring or fall, I love both.
    Have a great weekend!
    Blessings~
    Robbie
    (aka RobbyeFaye, aka Robbye)
    robbyefaye (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen's photo IS gorgeous, isn't it! You should see some of her other stuff. Beautiful, I tell ya. Just beautiful! I'm with you: In the spring, I love that season best; in the fall... LOL Thanks for stopping by, Robbye! Wishing you luck in the drawing and a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  16. Will definitely have to celebrate National Dessert Day tomorrow!

    As for mammograms, no fun but I have been getting them regularly for about 6 years now. Got called back once for something that looked suspicious, talk about scared! Turn out to be nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those call-backs can really freak a gal out, can't they! Glad to hear yours turned out to be nothing. Hope you'll enjoy National Dessert Day tomorrow, and a great weekend, too. And good luck in the drawing, Patty!

      Delete
  17. I know New England has a reputation for beautiful fall colors but here in the Pacific Northwest we are giving them some competition. The maples are gorgeous as well as all the other trees with turning leaves. Last year crafted a bowl of the maple leaves. Had many compliments over the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely live in a beautiful, lush-green part of the country, Karen. I can easily believe you're giving New England a run for its money! So glad you stopped by. Wishing you luck in the drawing and a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  18. What a fun post ladies, knock-knock jokes and a national hermits day! I did not know they had one. The Seafood Bisque sounds yummy and I love the beautiful picture. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons, along with spring.

    Yes, MAMMO's are important. My cousin had breast cancer over 15 years ago,(& being a retired Oncology RN) I make sure I get one every year and this year had to have several follow-up ones with 3 repeat sonograms because of an abnormal one last Nov. Thank God what they are seeing are cysts and not to worry about!

    My birthday is in October and I always knew my birthstone is Opal then found out today, after reading this post and doing some research, that October has *two* birthstones:Opal & Tourmaline stone. How special is that?!

    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two birthstones are better than one! If you try that seafood bisque recipe, Tina, I hope you'll let us know what sort of reactions you received. Here, they're always rave reviews! We're glad to hear you're serious about regular mammograms, wish you luck in the drawing, and a wonderful, wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  19. I love October! The colors, the cooler weather, and oh, today's my birthday! Thanks for the knock-knock smiles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Kathleen! Very little NOT to like about autumn! Hope your birthday was your best, ever. Good luck in the drawing, and thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  20. I knew I liked October 14th! Now I know why!
    Just finished The Man She Knew, and have it five stars on A mnemonic axon. Delightful story, Loree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly automatic correct! I GAVE it five stars on Amazon!

      Delete
    2. Silly automatic correct! I GAVE it five stars on Amazon!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Jeanette! (And I'm with you: autocorrect is maddening!) Thanks so much for stopping by. Wishing you much luck in the drawing, and a happy week ahead!

      Delete
  21. I may make today my national hermit day lol I just wanna stay in and read. It'd be even more perfect if it was raining :)

    I just turned 40 in May so I know I need to schedule a mammogram. One of my friends from highschool had a double mastectomy at the beginning of the year because of breast cancer. She's only 41!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermit Day seems to appeal to a lot of us, doesn't it! LOL Here's hoping you got lots of R&R and reading time this weekend. My birthday is in May, too (although I'm way past 40). I agree: Schedule that mammogram. You don't want to end up like your friend! Wishing you a wonderful week and luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  22. fun post

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, m'dear. Hope the week ahead is wonderful, and we wish you much luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  23. What a fun post, ladies! You had me smiling and laughing all the way through! And I will absolutely take your advice for National Hermit Day. It will be me, a Pumpkin Spice Latte, . . . and lots of books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment