Deep breaths by Cheryl Harper

Sunday afternoon. I'm at my desk, writing, and the phone rings. In the usual way, my family member says, "Hey, what are you doing?"

"Working. What are you doing?" I answer in the usual way.

We go on to discussing all the upcoming holiday things and the presents that have be found and wrapped and the Christmas dinner I'm having at my house and dishes I will prepare after I buy everything at the grocery store and my new-ish day job challenges which I can tackle but not without expending So. Much. Energy. and why I'm worried about meeting a book deadline a month away and health surprises and...

When it's all over, I think "I should make a list." Another list of things that I need to remember. I want it all because it's all important to me. I can't miss anything. Instead, I go back to my story, realize I'm never going to hit the impossible word count goal I set for myself, see the phrase "deep breath" three times in the last three paragraphs and decide...

Maybe a deep breath is not such a bad idea. That conversation? You recognize every part of it. I know you do, so join me. For five minutes, imagine what you'd do with a free day, where you'd go, and just what would make it perfect. Christmas can wait for five minutes. So can the job and the lists. I can figure out things my characters can do other than take deep breaths (but I will take suggestions, just don't say shrug, laugh, or smile because they do that too much, too). In a minute. It can all wait. One day. What would you do with it? Here's mine:

Okay, so I did make a list after all. It's a good one. I hope this wild, wonderful time of year is full of fun and adventure and family and still, quiet time so that you can enjoy every bit of it. Now...deep breaths. How many times has my heroine sighed? Nope. That doesn't work, either. Maybe a Diet Coke will help.

Comments

  1. 1. Read a good book. 2. Write some. 3. Hang with my daughter and son. 4. Let my mind wander. Oh wait...I did that all yesterday. Life's good! Hope you make your list happen, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is always at the top of the list. Just need more time!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, your characters must know my characters who do all those things! What would I do with a day off? Sit and enjoy the Christmas decorations then get the packages mailed before it’s too late. Merry Christmas!!🎁🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of shrugging going on where you are, too? It's an epidemic!

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, I'm laughing because I just got done making yet another holiday list. One day, hmm.... I think I would head to the beach with a book (or two) and a thermos full of coffee. What a lovely thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So. Many. Lists! I was torn between a quiet lake and a sunny beach, so I'm glad you've got it covered, Carol. :)

      Delete
  4. Cheryl, you know us all so well. I'm part way through my Christmas list. Now I'm spending more time making lists of things so I don't forget anything. I need to take a few minutes every day to step outside and look at the Catalina mountains. Grounds me! Have wonderful holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keeping that connection is what makes it all worth it. Right?

      Delete
  5. I love that cabin! I would go there with tea, cookies, and a stack of books. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies! I forgot cookies, but never forget the books!

      Delete
  6. What would I do on a free day? First, I'd turn off my internet. Then grab a book to read just for fun. Maybe soak in a hot tub (if I had one). And take a nap. Love this post and I wish someone would post on here a few body tags we could use. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed there are no substitutions... Guess it's up to us!

      Delete
  7. Cheryl you crack me up. I recently finished edits and boy did my characters take a lot of deep breaths lol. I had to get creative. Sometimes I think maybe if I had a yogi heroine, all that deep breathing would fit right in lol! And yes, I'd be lost without list, but every so often, I forget about them for a moment and take a deep breath. Be in the moment ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That is so important, being in the moment. I'm just now understanding that and it is hard to get my head wrapped around it.

      Delete
  8. I vote for scratching the lists and heading to the cabin in the photo. It makes me calm just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw it, I thought "Peace. Right there." It's a great daydreaming spot.

      Delete
  9. That front porch looks like the perfect spot to read the day away. Yes, my characters want to smile, sigh, shrug, and breath constantly. Too bad they don't feel inclined to spell out their emotions in human letters, like cheerleaders.That could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder if we could get through an editor... Might be worth a try!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl, I love this post because this time of year my lists are clipped to other lists and I make more lists from those lists. I would go to your cabin with a very warm blanket, a tote full of romance books and drink a lotta lattes and chill. In the meantime, I do stare at my silver bugle beaded PEACE pillow.....a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, too. And I'm learning. Really.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment