Limes in the Ocean - a special holiday

Limes in the Ocean – a special holiday

I’ve been wondering lately – is it more difficult to keep love alive or to keep romance alive? I lost my husband almost four years ago, and today, when I’m writing this, is actually Tuesday, the 21st, his birthday. Keeping my love for him isn’t hard. I loved him for 35 years and I still do. Keeping romance alive is more challenging. But my family and I have a ritual we do every year on Buddy’s birthday, March 21st.

My husband loved the ocean, boating, fishing, snorkeling, almost anything that got him wet. He also loved drinks with limes in them. So every year on his birthday, my family and I go down to the Atlantic shore in Florida, order “well-limed” drinks and save the limes. Then we go out to the water’s edge and throw the limes in the water with a hoot and a holler for Bud to watch out for them. Silly? Maybe. Touching? Definitely, at least to me.

This year I’m adding a dog biscuit to the ritual in memory of Sparky who crossed the Rainbow Bridge three weeks ago. Perhaps only the fish will enjoy this citrusy, crusty treat, but  I know the limes and biscuit will find the right destination. And that destination is my heart. Am I sad today? Not nearly as sad as I once was. This bit of whimsy in honor of my husband makes me happy.

What do you do to commemorate certain dates that have significance in your life?

Cynthia

Be sure to check out this month’s fabulous Heartwarming books.

My Buddy with our beloved Midge. Now he has two pals in Heaven


Comments

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your husband, Cynthia. I don't think you're being silly at all. What I do know is now, every time I see a lime, I'll think of you and Buddy's everlasting love.
    I'll usually break out the out photo albums to commemorate certain dates that have significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. Hope the thought of my sea salty limes don't ruin the taste of a good vodka tonic for you.
      Cynthia

      Delete
  2. I love this story. Like Jill, I don't think it's silly at all. I hope it shows up in a story. I'm so glad you continue to make new memories with Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, What a fabulous way to celebrate Buddy's birthday and to remember your pets. The special holidays are hard and I say go for any commemoration that gets you and family through each one. I love the limes in the ocean. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. Thanks so much for describing your special tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute, Cynthia. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your special tribute. And I know it does help. Wish I'd thought of something like that when my husband died. Thanks for a sweet blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so sweet. I can picture the limes floating out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Cynthia. Your post made me cry. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with others who have commented about how touching and sweet your tribute to your husband is and to Sparky, too.

    My thoughts are with you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cynthia,
    You've gotten lots of sisterhood hugs. I've been married 15 years and cannot imagine a day without my husband. Now that we have Lucy the Dog, I can't imagine a CALM life without her. Wish you lived nearby so we do could breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Pamela and everyone. I appreciate every one of those sisterhood hugs.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment