Words to Live By by Syndi Powell



💗💗💗💗  Blessed   ðŸ’—💗💗💗







I know of several friends that choose a word at the beginning of the year. Similar to a theme for the year, they focus on that word and how it manifests itself into their lives. I have done this in the past, but often I've found that the word has chosen me, rather than the other way around. This past year, that word was blessed.

The first few times I saw the word, I dismissed it. It's coincidence, I told myself. But then the word kept popping up in random places. I realized that the word was being emphasized in my life for a reason. So I stopped dismissing it when I saw the word and started focusing on it.

My life is by no means perfect. I struggle with working a day job as well as trying to fit in time to write. My health is always a concern as I continue with treatment for breast cancer. There have been problems with family and friends. 

But despite all this, I feel blessed. I feel like I got a second chance as I continue to beat cancer. I have enough money to pay bills, to save and to give to charity. And while arguments can dampen a relationship, I'm lucky to have so many people who love and support me.

So 2017 was my year of being blessed and feeling thankful for those blessings.

But as 2018 neared, the word that kept popping up made my knees knock together and my palms sweat. That word was surrender. We're only three weeks into the year, but I've already started to struggle with this word. I came down with pneumonia which caused my heart rate to spike. A trip to the emergency room lead to a night in the hospital while they monitored me and my heart. The good news is that the increase in my pulse was due to dehydration caused by the pneumonia. The bad news is that this was a warning sign and that I need to make some lifestyle changes.

Surrender is going to make 2018 an interesting year for me. What about you? Do you choose a word for the year? If you do, how do you decide?


Comments

  1. Wow. Your post really hit home with me, Sydni. And you're right. Surrender is a scary word. Maybe because it can often be linked to Sacrifice. So sorry about your recent health scare and am praying for you to have a healthy 2018!
    I've never really picked a word, but this year my word is going to be SIMPLIFY. Lord knows I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have words each year, too. Surrender is, like you and LeAnne said, a scary word. I hope it gives you strength when you need it and that, word or not, 2018 is a blessed year for you. Prayers go with that hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post, Syndi. I've never thought of having a word of the year, but the word 'positivity' keeps popping into my head. Maybe that's the one I need after having a couple of hard years. I'm so glad you're recovering from pneumonia. Just remember that it takes much longer than you think it's going to. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, positivity is a great word. I think we could all use more of that in this world!

      Delete
  4. Surrender is a tough one. I'm glad you're getting over the pneumonia, and praying for healing and health for you this year. My word is hope. Kind of like Patricia's positivity, it helps me see that good things can happen, do happen, and it's up to me to notice and rejoice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syndi, I want you to change "surrender" to "fight". I believe we can alter our own destiny by positive thinking. I hope your health improves and that you can get back in your 2017 groove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surrender is scary because it's linked to defeat. Equally, it can also mean openness, awareness, patience and maybe even forgiveness. I trust you will find a way through all of this, Syndi. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, M.K. I believe that surrender will mean those things as well.

      Delete
  7. You’ve written much for me to think about Syndi, on this cold winter day in Toronto. As some of us have pointed out, there are many interpretations to that word, ‘surrender’, including one - acceptance- which may pertain to things we have no control over. Like serious illnesses. There’s no quick recovery from pneumonia for sure. But hope for better days can help the waiting. Take care and get better. My word for 2018 is definitely ‘hope’ !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Syndi Powell. I’m so glad you’re feeling better. ( :

    I don’t choose a word, but despite life’s challenges I, like yourself, try to focus on the blessings in my life which are definitely numerous. I hope we will have a joy-filled 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I pray for much joy to come your way along with those blessings. I remember that old song "Count Your Blessings". My grandma would sing that to us when we were grumbling about something.

      Delete
  9. I haven't chosen a word for a couple of years because I often have chosen one, then gotten busy and forgot to focus on it. I'm thinking you're not seeing surrender as giving up, but more of not carrying on the fight by yourself.

    Perhaps I need to revisit my thoughts on picking a word this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I think the word surrender for me is about following God's ways rather than insisting on my own selfish desires.

      Delete
  10. I understand what you mean by surrendering to what is--and from that stance figure out the next steps. Hoping for your year to turn out as you wish it to be in all ways. How lovely to feel blessed in the midst of trials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My word is hope. I hope you feel better soon and can find a way to make those lifestyle changes! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment