When in Rome... by Carol Ross




I would love to, thank you very much! But first, I need to know what there is to do there.

Getting ready to embark on my first ever trip to Europe and I could use some help. For most of the journey, we’ll be traveling with a tour group, so I won’t have to think much about where I’m going or how I’m going to get there. But at the beginning of the trip, we have three “free” days in Paris and two days in Rome. With help from Harlequin’s lovely editor and resident Francophile, Johanna Raisanen, our Paris days are pretty well filled. Cannot wait to see Muse de L’Orangerie, Tuileries Garden, Versailles, and as many other sights as we can squeeze into these days.

However, Rome is still a blank slate.


Our tour includes the major sites like St. Peter’s and the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and the Colosseum. I’ve spent a bit of time researching further points of interest and adventures. The Galleria Borghese is calling to me as are the catacombs. Pompeii is two hours away and appears to be a doable day trip? (I’ve been fascinated with this archaeological wonder since I was in high school and wrote a report on Mt. Vesuvius. Dating myself here, but it was in the news a lot back then because, in the early 1980s, archaeologists uncovered new remains at Pompeii and Herculaneum. National Geographic published the most amazing photos. I kept a copy of this issue until a house fire destroyed it in 2000.) But the more I read, maybe the much closer ruins of Ostia Antica are the way to go?

And, just being honest here, it’s possible I may have read as much about the food as I have the sights. I don’t want to miss a single bite of deliciousness. I already have gelato on my list, of course. I’ll also be seeking out cacio de pepe, maritozzi, carbonara, and pizza al taglio. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated and most likely sampled. 


I would love to hear about your trip to Rome (or Paris) and/or any travel advice you might want to share. Thank you in advance! I’ll report back here later this fall with a post highlighting all my favorite sights and flavors.

For more information about Carol Ross, including a complete list of her books, please visit her website!
 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a fabulous trip. Just walking through the streets of Paris is an adventure in itself. Never been to Rome, so I'll want to hear your stories about what you could pack in over a couple of days. Now I'm wondering where you'll be on the rest of the trip. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia! I've heard this about Paris and I'm looking forward to experiencing this. I'll be reporting on my trip, for sure. After exploring a bit of France, we head to Switzerland, Germany, and then Italy. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Carol!
    You are going to have a fabulous time. I spent a week in Rome at just about this time of year. It was July, but I will tell you...take a collapsible extra suitcase/duffle for all the sale shoes and purses you'll see. The Spanish Steps are not to be missed. And I went to all the notable sights, but what I remember? The silky summer nights sitting in cafes and small bistros till late, late at night, eating pastas that were less filling than Jello. The house wines were incredible and the friendliness of the people. The cappuccino is out of this world, but NOTHING beats Parisian croissants. I love Paris. But that was then. Watch your purse and thieves are everywhere now. It's not the same. I'll say a prayer for you that you are safe and you have nothing but fun and blessed days! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! Good advice. This all sounds lovely and just what I'm hoping for. Looking forward to trying a Parisian croissant (or two). Yes, please, pray for us! And I'll take that hug :)

      Delete
  3. I loved Rome. We went in the off-season, and the crowds were small. Mostly we saw the same things you've already mentioned, which were amazing. The Vatican alone could fill days. We took a day trip tour to Delphi, and really enjoyed seeing the countryside as well as Delphi itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. That bodes well for me. Delphi sounds very nice. I like the idea of seeing some countryside. Thank you, Beth!

      Delete
  4. I spent a week in Rome too and loved it, but things were different than I expected. First, I couldn't find Charleston Heston anywhere. The Fountain of Trevi is smaller than I thought and a lot of places were in ruins. They had a photo to show you what it looked like before it fell down. Yet the warmth of the people (as a black, I was a novelty then. Not so now.) was heartwarming. The food was fabulous. I went to all the same sights you mentioned. The catacombs were poorly lighted as were several of the buildings. You had to pay for the lights to come on. They were on timers, so they went off after a period of time. Things were not less than her in the US, just different. So expect different and don't compare. Have a wonderful time. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hilarious, Shirley! Sounds like a very interesting experience. This is good advice about not comparing. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Do you see me reading this and turning green??? :-) Have fun on your trip and try to get rest, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Patricia. I'm planning on getting some relaxing done for sure.

      Delete
  6. I haven’t been to either place, but can’t wait to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment