Playing Holiday Catch-Up by Leigh Riker



Hi, all. As I’ve probably said before, Christmas trees and lights are my favorite parts of the holiday season (that is, along with all the friends and family gatherings). This isn’t my tree, but it embodies all the perfect qualities I love.




 And so does this bowl filled with glitter. Such a simple decoration--the best kind--to re-create.



Of course, this December as usual I’m running behind in my preparations. Ha, that’s putting it mildly, but I’ve been procrastinating—one of my best life skills. And, nothing new, I’ll have to pay the price again: crowded stores and overflowing parking garages! I know, I know. I have friends whose shopping is always done before Thanksgiving and in some cases before Labor Day. If only…

Still, the season is upon us, and I’m so happy this year to have a book out with a Christmas theme to help celebrate. Getting the chance to redeem Hadley Smith in TWINS UNDER THE TREE (Heartwarming, November 2019) was great fun!



Here he is with Jenna Moran, after decorating the Christmas tree at Clara McMann’s ranch:

Dutifully, Jenna switched off the room lights, plugged the tree in, and all at once the McMann living room became a fairyland. “Oh, how beautiful.”
Hadley’s electric-blue gaze skimmed Jenna, making her flush as if she’d stuck a finger in the socket instead of the lights. Surely, he wasn’t thinking about her that way. Or could he have seen her own awareness of him in her eyes?
Hadley shifted an ornament from a low branch to a higher one. “I haven’t seen Clara this happy since I got back,” he said.
“You don’t think there’s a connection? I can tell she loves having you and the twins living here.” Hadley didn’t say anything to that, so Jenna decided to go for it and tease out his plans. “Not bad, is it, doing work you love right here?”
He paused. “I’m happy wherever the road takes me.”
Jenna swallowed. “Don’t you want a permanent place? A home?”
“Never had one. Don’t…miss it.”
In spite of his foster care experience as a boy, Jenna thought that must be a lie. Who didn’t want a home? A family? Or did he mean he wouldn’t want a home with her? “For the twins, then, and you do miss your brother. I could see that in your eyes.”
He plucked another ornament off the tree, then put it back in the same spot. The lights made Hadley’s face appear softer, but his words sounded hard. “Roots can ground you, like Clara, or they can tie you down.”
Jenna turned from the tree. Was he trying to tell her he didn’t intend to remain much longer? I won’t stay in Barren forever, he’d once said. Better to know before her feelings for him got even stronger. Yet she couldn’t help saying, “The babies are your roots now, Hadley.”
He made a sound she couldn’t interpret. “You know where I stand. Jenna, I’m not the guy you should pick.”
She tensed, tempted to back off. “You mean a guy who leaves every place he’s ever been? Because that’s what you do, Hadley. You always leave. Why would I take on a man who probably keeps his bag packed in a closet? I hope this eases your mind, but I’d rather live the rest of my life alone.”
He said, “No, you wouldn’t. I know that much about you. Even after your ex, you’re still the marrying type.”
Jenna wished she hadn’t started this after all, exposed herself. “Did you really just say ‘the marrying type’?”

I hope you enjoy/enjoyed seeing Hadley and Jenna work things out. Next summer look for the next book in this series, THE COWBOY’S SECRET BABY. You can check out all titles on my website, leighriker.com.

What’s your favorite part of the holidays? Are you ready? Or are you like me, about to join the throng of shoppers at your local mall?

Happy Holidays, everyone!


Comments

  1. I can relate to the procrastination over Christmas, Leigh, although some posts here have spurred me to at least thinking about getting organized. Congratulations on your Christmas release...such a sweet cover... and love the story excerpt! There are still 21 days left so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janice, I'm still procrastinating. A Thanksgiving trip didn't help so now I'm even farther behind! Thanks, I love that cover too, and I'm glad you liked the excerpt. Twenty-one days, huh? That doesn't sound too bad. There's still time.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the Christmas book. It's a great cover. There are some decorations up at my house and more will be added as the month goes on. I've been playing Christmas movies, too, occasionally and listening to carols. There aren't too many lights up in my neighborhood, but we'll be taking evening walks to enjoy what there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your gradual decorating system, Callie. I managed to put up one small tree and get the wreaths out of storage before Thanksgiving. Maybe I need to watch some Christmas movies now, like you, to really get in the mood.

      Delete
  3. Loved that story, and it helped get me in the mood. Now that I'm back home in Alaska, it's time to put up the tree and get ready for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, glad to be of service! I should re-read my own book--which I'm so happy you liked--to possibly inspire me. I imagine you'll have lots of snow in Alaska for the holidays, and everything will look beautiful. Stay warm!

      Delete
  4. Lovely excerpt--good luck with all the Christmas prep. It's a white-with-snow-holiday here already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia. I hope you enjoy that lovely, snowy holiday where you are.

      Delete
  5. Great excerpt. And I adore your book cover. I just finished Thanksgiving and I already feel behind for Christmas. But my tree is officially up as of Sunday which provides many good evenings of drinking hot cocoa and staring at the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my idea of a perfect holiday evening, Elizabeth--enjoying hot cocoa and the lights. I could watch the tree for hours. Congratulations on getting yours up. I need to do that asap. I'm glad you liked the book cover and excerpt.

      Delete
  6. What a great excerpt. I'm behind all the time, but have learned to accept it as a personal flaw. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment