Carolyn McSparren Blogs

Carolyn McSparren here, and if I can manage to get this posted, it will be a miracle. I live in
the country, and the only Internet service I can get is Wildblue.net.
Very nice people, but not as big as AT&T. Every time we have a storm,
I get kicked off. I also get kicked off at some other times that I
can’t figure out at all.  Now, Google is telling me they can’t hook me
up with this blog, and I am not sufficiently Internet savvy to gainsay
them. Once we get the bugs worked out, however, I am up for Sunday,
the same day I do my Storybroads.com blog.
I write romance and romantic suspense for Harlequin Superromance, and
have just finished my third cozy mystery for Belle Books. I live in
the country outside of Memphis, Tennessee, and at present have four
big horses, three indoor cats, and a  number of barn cats.
When my editor at Harlequin suggested I write for Heartwarming, she
said, “I’m sorry, but you won’t be able to write any erotic sex scenes
or overt violence.”
I write cozyish violence anyway. I bump off characters nobody likes,
and never do violence to children or animals. I won’t go to see War
Horse, and I hated Turner and Hooch. Sobbing uncontrollably in public
embarrasses me.
My friend Pat Potter writes wonderful sex/love scenes. Me—not so much.
Heaven knows I believe in long life love and great sex—George and I
just celebrated our forty-fifth anniversary—but finding creative ways
to handle sex scenes is difficult for me. What matters to me, and I
hope to you, is that two damaged people find one another, and through
their love, change  so that they deserve to love for a lifetime.
My first book for Heartwarming is about a group of wounded veterans
trying to find new careers by learning to drive draft horses. They
don’t simply find careers. They find new lives and new love. I hope
you like it.

Comments

  1. Hi Carolyn! I'm so glad you joined Heartwarming! It is such an amazing line. I live in the country too and sometimes my Internet just gives me a blank screen with the unspoken message, "just use a stamp, sweetie." I feel your pain! Your story sounds amazing- I LOVE horses- my niece raises and sells them to our Amish locals. And the idea of returning veterans finding themselves and love through their work together is beautiful. YAY! Another author to add to my "must read" list :) I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,
    Waving to you from icy cold Tucson. We've had over a week in the deep freeze. Carolyn is so modest. She writes beautifully sensitive characters and her Superromance stories have unique plots. I loved one in particular about restoring carousel horses. Yep, she loves horses. Has interesting stories connected to raising them. I've missed talking to you at conferences. We must see if we can get all of the Heartwarming authors together one of these fine days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome idea, Roz!! I just booked my RWA hotel in Atlanta...

      Delete
  3. Hi, Carolyn! You sound like another conscript for Roz's and my age group. Welcome! I love animals, too, and have to turn off the ASPCA commercials because I can't stand to see those beautiful faces behind bars. Even had trouble with children's stories when I was little - Bambi's mother DIED, and poor Dumbo when they took him from his mother, and don't get me started on Old Yeller! Cold in Oregon, too - 26 last night. But sunny and beautiful today. My office has a window looking onto the Columbia River, so life is good. Does your book have a title yet? Your general philosophy describes precisely what I love to read. Looking forward to your book!

    Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few of your SuperRomances!! Glad you found a home with Heartwarming and your book has me intrigued.

    Congrats on 45 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, it's so nice to meet you! Congratulations on 45 years. That's wonderful!

    I look forward to reading your book! It's great that I'm getting to know all these authors whose books I'll be reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment