What Authors Do Besides Writing

When I was a brand-new writer, my writing life was basically an old Montgromery Wards computer without Internet (Internet wasn't invented yet!)  It was tucked in a corner of my living room on a desk (I wasn't married or had children yet, so the space was mine.  Nowadays my living room space is filled with Legoes).

I wrote.

Then, I took a college creative writing class.  I took the class four times, mostly with the same students, always with the same instructor.  Finally, out of the class, a critique group formed.  Even the teacher joined.

I wrote.

Through a newspaper advertisement, I found Romance Writers of America.

I joined and almost immediately started volunteering.  I've been vice-president, secretary, co-chaired a local conference, etc.  I made friends (my whole wedding party, female side, were writers. Even my sister could be the next Erma Bombeck.)  I made contacts.  I entered contests.

I wrote.

Then, I sold!

Suddenly I wrote by deadline. 

As a published author, I still do all of the above except take the creative writing class.  Now, instead, I often am the teacher.

Take for example, the flier above.

This coming weekend, I'll be at the Tucson Festival of Books.  I'll be doing two workshops. 

One on Saturday at 1:00 called "Yes, We Write Romance and We Love It."  I'll be doing this one alongside Cathy McDavid (She was my maid of honor btw) and another author.

Another on Sunday at 1:00 called "Everyone Has a Story."  I'll be doing this one alongside Michelle Sutton and Julia London.

So, if you're down Tucson way, stop by.  It will be fun.  And, courtesy of the Heartwarming team (waving at them) I'll be handing out Harlequin Heartwarming books to readers!

Oh, and I'm taking my laptop.

I write.

Comments

  1. Pam, yes you do write. Pam has more energy than anyone I know. It's good, because she does a lot more than write. And I'll be seeing you at the book festival. Our RWA chapter booth will be giving away a lot of books. Many are from Harlequin authors in a lot of sub genres. It's a fun two days. Sometimes it's the things like autographings, workshops, meetings and all with other writers that keep us going in this writing business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,
      Believe me, the energy is wanning. I'm sooo looking forward to spending time with you.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Pam! Kudos to whoever designed the flier (flyer?) It's beautiful and gets your attention. Butterflies always get my attention. (Didn't someone say they should be called Flutter Bys?) Would love to be joining you in Arizona as it is gloomy and overcast here. Would love to catch a dose of the warmth and support of my Heartwarming buddies, too. Instead, I'll be sitting in my office with it's beautiful view because I, too, write. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drive on down. I'm staying with Roz and Connie Flynn. We'll have a hen party.

      Delete
  3. Pam, I would take a workshop you lead any day- and would learn so much!! I wish I could see you in Tuscon! Those sound like great writing workshops. I Agree with Roz that interacting with other writers as you have throughout your life is energizing and motivating! I feel so fortunate to be a member of the Heartwarming team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friends are writers. They're the easiest to talk to because they understand make believe.

      Delete
  4. Pam, sounds like you have great friends! And sounds like you have a busy life! Don't you also find that teaching writing actually helps you learn more about your own? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, sometimes I am teaching what should be done and thinking, "Geesh, I really should be doing this!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment