It's All in the Face

I confess.  I study faces.  So, when my son checked out the Harry Potter movie book from the library and showed me this picture of Tom Felton who played Draco Malfoy in the series, I thought, "hmmm.  Why hasn't anyone else noticed this?"  Tom really needs to play Hermey in Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer.   

That brings me to who plays the lead characters in my books.

When I start a book, I first have to decide who my leads are.  Personality, I have it.  Description, though, is vague.  So, I always go to the Internet and look at pictures.  For my August release, Katie's Rescue, here's what my character chart looked like. (I've also attached my notes on chapter one and the calendar...)


Grocery List

Luke Rittenhouse - 32

Uncle Albert - had been in a carnival

Tinker the cat
full-grown, long-haired, black and white cat

Bridget’s AZ Adventure



Katie Vincent - 25
Blonde and green eyed


Janie Vincent – 19
Mom Leslie – deceased
Dad Bob – dead six months


Sister has down syndrome - dead



Didn’t attend dad’s funeral
Sister in trouble




 Tyre
Misses Katie




Chapter One
Luke Rittenhouse - 31
                 1-15
Katie Vincent - 25

Motion of return
Reversal Clause
Adam – artist
Tinker
Ruth Moore, 60, 200 pounds
Uncle Albert’s Farm.
Aquila, now 70 pounds, was 100
   Bridget’s AZ Adventure

Dad – Bob Vincent 
Bob’s Backyard Animal Kingdom
Jasper – near 80


Entry



October 2012
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday





1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
Luke Calls
15
16
Arrives in Tucson- early
17
Works in gift shop
18
Works with burros
19
Commercial filmed, bad memory
acquaintance
20
Jasper with memories
Deaf child
21
More deaf children
22
Terrance escapes
23

24
Dinner with family
25
Tyre for sale
26
Janie arrives

27
Janie a natural

28
29
30
31 
















Comments

  1. I love that male actor! Gorgeous:) Great pic for a lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've used him more than once. He and the young lead from Frequency (I never can spell his last name). His first name is Jim.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I know the one you mean-he's hot in an intense sort of way lol:)

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how every author has a different process to start a book. Just like author's have their own distinct voice and writing style, the process before sitting down to begin the book is distinct too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I started this quite a few years ago when I started writing sequels and frustrated myself.

      Delete
  3. Pam - the calendar is a really great idea because I can get messed up in the process of things - especially if I change my mind about something and have to go back and alter when things happened. I also made myself a calendar for the local flora - because the west coast is about a month behind the east coast in growth pattern. That calendar says things like - Forsythia in bloom early March, Rhododendron early April, that kind of thing. I love that actor, too. Isn't he the one from P.S. I LOVE YOU with Hillary Swank? He looks like Javier Bardem and I get them confused. Thanks for sharing your process! Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's the second love interest in PS I Love You. That's where I found him!

      Delete
  4. Pam, love peeking into your writing life. Yummy hero and of course I love the animals.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't remember a time when you weren't in my writing life.

      Delete
  5. Guys,
    One of the things I've discovered is how short the time is between the meetings of my H and H and the happily ever after. It's been eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, I love the visuals and graphics you use to give you a snapshot of both your characters and plot! Joanne and I use this process as we've been writing our YA series and it is so helpful as we pass the novels back and forth. I'm going to try it on my solo novels as well. Until my Heartwarming and the series, I was mostly a "pantser" but I've seen the light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm still a pantser LOL but I long to be a plotter.

      Delete
  7. This is really nice stuff, especially the calendar--an idea I definitely need to channel. I'm like Muriel with the flowers. Early on, I once had lilacs blooming in Vermont in March--amazing that book never sold...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is great. You're so much more organized than I am even if you are a pantster. That could be why I have a lot more revising to do once the first draft is done.

    I love that actor. When he played Denny on "Grey's Anatomy", I sobbed when his character died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so now I'm putting Grey's Anatomy on my to-watch list. I didn't even know he had a part. I'm woofully behind on television.

      I revise like crazy, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment