Oh, the joy of sending the finished manuscript to the editor. As a writer, this is a very happy day. Sure, there is an editorial process that continues until the book is released, so there will be more work to do, but the book is written. Phew.
Now, back to real life. Whoever thinks the life of a writer is glamorous, keep reading!
Stages after the deadline:
1. Decompress. Yep. Authors get exhausted. Sign me up for a nap.
2. Clean the house. Time to sort through the accumulated clutter that collects about the last month before the deadline date. This is push time for the author. And crazy time for the family, but everyone survives.
3. Yard work. This is actually nice. Getting outside for a few hours to enjoy the sunshine.
4. Catching up with friends. Yes, we have them trained not to call until after the deadline. Well, the last two weeks before submitting the manuscript anyway.
5. Start the next book. No rest for a storyteller. I may take a week to rest and catch up on life, but then I dive back in. New story. New characters. New adventure. I can’t wait!
So, after reading this, let me know what you think of the writer's life now!