Computer Woes

Pamela Tracy here, and I confess, "I love my computer: all of them."

But, my absolute favorite is my years (and I do mean years) old personal computer that sits on the desk in my office.  Every morning from 5:30 - 7:00 I try to sit there and add my five pages.  My cat Tyre sits by the mouse pad, usually with his head on my hand, while I type.


file://localhost/Users/pamelaosback/Desktop/computer-cat.jpg


About eight months ago, I lost the Internet on mycomputer.  Everywhere else - husband's computer, iPad, Kindle - got the connections, just not me.  I spent a month on the phone with a multitude of people telling me that over the phone they'd be able to help me reconnect.  It would save me money they insisted because sending a tech out would cost 80$.

Countless hours (and some strange device they had me buy at Staples) later (and yes, my time is valuable and so is the hair I pulled out!) I screamed, "Send me the repairman!"  I'd asked nicely a few other times, again to get assured that over the phone they could help me.  Let's just say I don't appreciate help that has me crawling on the floor looking at wires and saying words I can't say in front of my eight year old.

The tech fixed it in maybe 20 minutes.

It went out again three months ago. This time the whole house.  I didn't play around.  The first yahoo that told me they could walk me through the repair got the yelling.  Ask Roz.  I'm not a yeller.  I'm actually one of those chirpy people who are usually in a very good mood.  It took the guy two hours and two trips to fix it.

It's out on my computer again.  Just my computer.  This time I got a virus.  I took the virus off (applause here).  But, the force shut corrupted my aol software.

Me, I'm doing everything now on my Mac Laptop.  I'm not a Mac person.  This is a new laptop, purchased this summer so I could write as we traveled.  I'm now a Mac person because if something goes wrong with this Mac, I go to the nearby mall and walk in the Mac store and a person will say, "How can I help you?"

Service is everything.


Comments

  1. Hi Pam!
    I totally agree. If I could figure out how to fix my own computer issues, I wouldn't need to call these people in the first place:) Walking me through by phone is definitely not an option for me either. Luckily my husband is an I.T. guy, so if he offers to walk me through it by phone-there's trouble lol:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I need to do, that I didn't do last time, is ask for a refund for all the days I went without Internet. I truly hated Century Link during this time.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Pam, you have my COMPLETE sympathy! It's awful when computers don't do what they're supposed to do. And, guessing by all the help you've given me to get going on the blog, you're much more techno-savvy than I am, so when you can't do it, it must be bad. But even more important than all that - I'm so impressed that you can do five (count them, 5!) pages in an hour and a half - and at that hour of the morning! Wow! My baseball cap off to you, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I carry my iPad with me and usually finish up later because there are five page a day days and then there are I LOVE THIS SCENE AND WANT TO KEEP IT BUT IT MAKES NO SENSE days. Computers used to be a lot easier.

      Delete
  3. Like you, I don't take it well when my computer doesn't do what I want it to - and the new AOL software is enough to drive a sane person nuts. It locks up, takes forever, etc. UGH!!! I'd change it, but I haven't got the time to learn a new system. Phooey. It's really amazing how addictive the Internet is, too. I lost it a while back for about a day and a half (weather) and I thought I was back in the stone age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an aol fan, too. Been on since 2.0. I agree, it used to be a lot easier.

      Delete
  4. Pam, I can relate! I've had so many computer issues over the years. Luckily my husband is great at recovering lost files and ridding my computer of virus' . It's amazing to me how dependent I've become on computers and the Internet - but that's life now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is good at plugging things in. Me, not so much. He'll take markers and write on the back of the tower. And, yes, we love the Internet.

      Delete
  5. My sympathies, having been there and done that. I'm interested in how it is going over to a Mac. I've never used it. Ever. Nor do I want to learn, but there is this little niggling curiosity thing about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate too, Pam. Computer issues stress me out. We're so dependent on them! And I so agree that service is everything. I'll drive further out for good service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. Good service is definitely everything. If you didn’t get the satisfying customer care that they promised to you, it’s better to try out another brand. Anyway, you made the right decision. The support staff at Mac are always willing to help their customers with any problems they have with their devices.

    Cordia Remsen @ RBSMN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment