Sit-Down Saturday with Cynthia Thomason


Today we’re celebrating the release of A SOLDIER’S PROMISE by Cynthia Thomason


So, Cynthia, where did you get the idea for this novel?

I used to be a high school English teacher and found it to be a very rewarding career. I’ve always enjoyed helping kids. And I wondered what a teacher who’d decided not to get involved with her students on a personal level would do if confronted with a sad teen who really seemed to need her. Add an Iraq war veteran single dad and a conflict is born.

In looking at the cover, if you could add a caption or captions, what would they 
say?

“Love can bring sunshine 
to the cloudiest day.” 

How long did it take you to write?

Just under six months.

What is your favorite scene?

The scene in the alley outside of the small town pizza shop. The hero and heroine had been getting along pretty well in the restaurant, but outside, the heroine crossed the delicate line between bystander and interfering teacher. The argument between Mike and Brenna is pretty intense, but Brenna’s spontaneous way of switching the intensity from anger to passion is kind of cool.

Who was your favorite character and why?

I really like my hero, Mike Langston. He wants to do the right thing but he quickly learns that his military background doesn’t serve him well as the father of a teen daughter he barely knows. Despite his grief and guilt, he never stops trying to connect with Carrie and eventually his persistence pays off.

If you could pick fictional characters to play the hero and heroine, who would 
they be?

Gerard Butler would play Mike and Emma Stone would play Brenna. Emma usually plays a strong, self-sufficient character, one who won’t back down.

Tell us one thing you learned during research.

I learned that keeping close tabs on family is quite difficult for soldiers in a combat zone. They want to be a part of the family so far away, but it’s not easy.

What music would match the mood of this novel?

Country music of course. This story takes place in Georgia. Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Zac Brown.

This is your 27th book.  Exactly what does that mean to you?

Gratitude that my publisher has such confidence in me and my ability to produce a decent book that will touch readers.

What do you plan to work on next?

I’m already working on another Blue Ridge Mountain story. 

What are you reading for pleasure right now?

Kristan Higgins The Perfect Match. It’s yummy.



Comments

  1. Cynthia, love the book cover. It's next up on my TBR stack. I saw Lady A on Good Morning America yesterday. They sang 3 songs from their new album. Now I have to get it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, I love the premise of A Soldiers Promise. I'm already hooked. I love single dad stories and I'm intrigued by the teacher love interest. Looking forward to reading! Congratulations on your 27th novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful cover and a great story between the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this story, Cynthia! I love the premise and I can already picture your characters arguing in the alley. And btw, those are 3 of my favorite bands :). Congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cynthia. Sorry I'm so late to chime in. My sister is arriving from Massachusetts in about an hour and I'm trying to clean a mess that really should involve a dozen professionals and possibly a bulldozer - or a match! Anyway - I just finished writing a soldier's story and it's almost unsettling the way they get to you. I can just imagine your single dad trying to connect with his daughter. Sounds like a story that shouldn't be missed. Congratulations on #27. That's big stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, congratulations on number 27. I'm looking forward to reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments everyone. I hope you enjoy A Soldier's Promise.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment