Happiness Is Attainable At Any Age
An insurance newsletter I get often has information I like to share. The latest has an article on finding happiness. Their sources came from articles posted in a May 2013 Scientific American, and a September 2013 Huffington Post Health Living.
Happiness was once considered an elusive quality. Now it is believed that anyone can increase their happiness regardless of age, health, wealth, gender, ethnicity, or education.
The article lists 9 areas anyone can choose to develop.
1. Express Gratitude: Happy people appreciate and value what they have. They recommend starting each day with a gratitude list. Watch how day by day the list grows. Remember that sad thoughts make you sadder. Angry thoughts angrier. Being thankful leads to more reasons to feel grateful.
2. Develop Optimism: You can cultivate optimism. Seeing a glass half full or half empty is a matter of perspective. Train your thoughts toward seeing your world as a source of endless wonder and opportunity.
3. Stop Comparing Yourself To Others: Compare and despair. This is prevalent among writers. But comparing yourself to another person causes unhappiness. Either you feel better than other people, which creates separation from them. Or if you envy others it makes you feel bad about yourself. Think about the fact you compare yourself to others using conditions you know about your life, but only think you know about theirs.
4. Practice Acts of Kindness: It’s scientifically proven that being kind increases serotonin level in the brain. It’s the feel-good hormone. Believe that you reap what you sow. In order to collect vibrations of joy, practice kindness. Smile at strangers. You will feel happier and so will they.
5. Be Social: Studies show that people with relationships are happier than loners. Regardless of your marital status, you can develop close relationships with family members and friends that will bring you joy.
6. Develop Coping Strategies: Know that everyone experiences challenges, loss, and life setbacks. Be aware, maybe even list what you will do and where you will turn when you hit a rough patch.
7. Learn to Forgive: This is so important, but also know that forgiving doesn’t mean you let the person who harms you off the hook. It means you let you off the hook. Because harboring hurt and anger infringes on your happiness.
8. Take Care of Your Body: This may be the biggest hurdle to overcome. It’s hard to be happy when you are in physical pain or discomfort. Since you have one body to last a lifetime, don’t ignore it, but nurture it. Treat your physical being with the reverence it deserves.
9. Practice Spirituality: This is last but far from least. It’s great if organized religion works for you. If it doesn’t you still need to find your own path to tap into the divine, creative energy of the universe. Meditation calms the restless spirit. Being spiritual lets you transmit good thoughts out into the world.
Making the above nine suggestions an important addition to your daily life, will help your days, weeks, months and years blossom, and you’ll find yourself feeling happier.