This summer has been a time of examination and reflection for me. It hasn't been pretty or easy, but it's been necessary for me in order for me to move forward with my life. Am I still the independent person that I thought I was? Do I have the self confidence to follow my path or be daring to become a trailblazer and create a new one? Who do I think I really am?
Here are some things I've learned the not so easy way about myself:
1. I crave routine. As much as I'd like to think of myself as spontaneous, I respond more positively to having a routine and sticking to it.
2. A change in my plans makes me cranky at first. But if I zig when I planned to zag, some times I end up with a better result.
3. Writing is not as easy as I once thought. In fact, lately it's been a chore. I used to enjoy the creation of a story, but I find myself struggling to find the words. The blank computer screen mocks me as does my daily word goal.
4. I enjoy my independence. I gave some of that up when I got married, but now that I'm single again I like being the maker of my own destiny.
5. Family is still important. Relationships come and go, but my family will always be there. I recently enjoyed lunch out with my sisters. We had a great time catching up and laughing about the smallest things like sisters do.
6. I am still Syndi. I still act goofy at times. I'm still smart and funny. I'm strong and independent and able to overcome my obstacles.
If I were a character in a novel, I'd be in the middle of my story. The inciting event (my divorce) behind me and my goal (self discovery) ahead of me. My ending hasn't been written yet, but I'm eager to see where my story will take me.
What has this summer been for you? Who do you think you are???