Hip, hip, hoo-ray! Be your own cheerleader by Cynthia Thomason

Some of you already know about my latest misfortune, but for those who don’t, on Sept. 20, while visiting my daughter on her South Carolina farm, I fell through a rotted step and broke both my ankles. Now, mind you, this was after spending two months in the North Carolina mountains, climbing 15 wooden steps every time I went outdoors, and never even getting a splinter. But once at sea level again, I made a complete klutz of myself.

The accident was terrifying for the most part. I couldn’t walk. I was fifty minutes from the nearest hospital in Aiken, South Carolina. I had no way to continue my journey to my home in south Florida. The hospital misdiagnosed my injuries. They were actually worse than first thought and while my daughter kindly offered to drive me back to Fort Lauderdale, we had to stop at an emergency room on I-95 to receive the care I really needed. Once home, I had surgery, one leg healed rather quickly making me more mobile, but my other leg had so many pins and rods that the xray looked like the surgeon was building a tree house in my ankle. But, happy to report, the surgery was a success and I’m getting better every day.

I contemplated weeping my days away on the sofa with a box of tissues and a straw long enough to reach to the kitchen. I deserved to feel depressed and picked on by Fate, didn’t I? But I then realized that only one person could make me feel better about my situation – me! So I allowed my helpful friends to take me shopping, and I decorated my little condo to reflect the glories of Fall, my favorite season. I bought a $20.00 artificial tree from Wal-Mart and covered it in candy corn lights and fall leaves. I filled the house with scented spice candles and watched old sitcoms, avoiding tv dramas. And I read some wonderful romantic comedies by some of my favorite authors.

I expect to be walking without any aids in two or three weeks but in the meantime I’ll keep learning about what makes me happy, and what I can do to end each day with a smile. I’m wondering what you do to cheer yourself. If a good book is part of your depression solution, I ‘d love to know the title.
Thanks, and try reading THIS HERO FOR HIRE. It has some cheer-you-up scenes.

Cynthia

Comments

  1. I love your tree--I think I need me one of them. I hope you're feeling (and moving) better each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, if you get a tree be sure to buy those candy corn lights. They are so adorable.

      Delete

  2. I haven't even decorated for Halloween yet :) Glad to hear you'll be walking better in a couple of weeks. Gish, what a pain having to go to two hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your accident, Cynthia! Sounds terrible! My husband broke his arm right at the shoulder and was laid up all summer long. He fell into a little bit of depression. Things like that have a way of pulling us into dark places. I am glad to hear you found a way to let the light in! My husband is finally doing that too. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your accident! So awful:( But you are right, you were the only one who could 'turn things around' and start feeling better. Me, I'd still be crying, so good for you!! Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing! How wonderful to take a tragedy and turn it into a smile. Whenever life gives me problems I think, “This is going in a book.” Do you plan to inflict this on any of your future characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, yes, Marion. Now that I have the details of such injuries implanted in my brain, you can sure a fictional character is going to suffer!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing, Cynthia! This dose of inspiration is just what I need today! Love that tree....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia, I'm so sorry about what you're going through! I love your attitude and your fall tree :). We've had bad luck health-wise under our roof since summer and I know it can really zap the spirit after awhile. But after hearing about what you're going through and the ordeals some other Heartwarming sisters have been surviving behind the scenes, I can't complain (much, at least;) and your positive attitude is contagious :). So here's to better luck for us all. Sending prayers, well wishes...and if I happen upon a wizard or good witch this Halloween who can give me an anti-bad luck/curse potion...I'll share!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I'm always on the look-out for good luck potions!

      Delete
  8. So sorry about your accident, but love your attitude. And your tree is beautiful! Makes me want to...nah, I don't have a decorating bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cynthia, I've wondered how you were doing. Sorry to hear about the extra time in another ER. Glad you're on the mend. Your book is next up on my stack of TBR---yay. Love your lighted tree. I have stuff outside and a few things inside. Nothing so exciting as your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're an inspiration, Cynthia. One of my mom's favorite quotes was, "Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone." That's so true. Everyone's life is filled with difficulties and grief, and no one can get you out of the doldrums but you. I love your tree! I have fall and Halloween stuff all over, inside the house and out. On my door is a sign that reads, "Free broom rides - 5 cents." I'll come pick you up on it for lunch. Hope your good recovery continues. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going out for lunch is my favorite thing,Muriel. I'll gladly ride on the broom with you. You reminded me of my mother's quote. If she'd seen me trying to hobble around on my zero good legs, she would have said "Were you standing up talking when you should have been sitting down listening?"

      Delete
    2. Our mother were cut from the same cloth, apparently.

      Delete
  11. I treat myself to Starbucks for bumps in my day. I treat myself to a new purse after a particularly long stretch. Cynthia deserves a new purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO deserve a new purse! Today I had a pumpkin spiced latte. I'm on my way!

      Delete
  12. Cynthia, good advice for us all to remember. Love your tree. Looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love your Halloween tree--and your attitude toward this period of recovery. Both ankles, Cynthia? Oh my goodness. Muriel, your broom ride sign is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to know you're recovering. I remember well what happened to you and I felt really bad that you'd fallen while visiting your daughter. When I feel down or depressed I watch I Love Lucy. It always lifts my spirits. True story: After 9/11/2001 I was feeling down for weeks. Being from N.Y.C. and having virtually witnessed everything that happened, there was sadness and grief all around me and I couldn't bring myself to laugh or smile. One day I put an I Love Lucy (VHS tape) in the VCR and I laughed for the first time in weeks. I had an idea and I wrote a letter to Lucille Ball's daughter, Lucy Arnaz, telling her how much I loved and appreciated her parents and the entire cast of I Love Lucy, and how much it had helped me during the difficult 9/11 period. Well, about a week or so later I received a letter in the mail with the I Love Lucy logo on the envelope. She had written me back!! She thanked me for my letter and told me she showed it to her brother and that she's keeping it. I still have the letter displayed in a glass showcase in my house. To this day I still love I Love Lucy, and I watch it because I remember how it saved me. Feel better!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laurie, what a wonderful story. I'm a long-time I Love Lucy fan too. And I wish I had thought of watching some episodes after 9/11. I know I avoided the news after the first few days. I felt like I was drowning in all the misery. I've been watching old Green Acres episodes since the accident and it cheers me up. It's rather like a guilty pleasure but I think we all have them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an inspiring blog, mom—what a positive way to respond to all of this. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment