Saturday Sit-Down with Cynthia Thomason



Today we’re celebrating the release of THIS HERO FOR HIRE



 
So, Cynthia Thomason, where did you get the idea for this novel? I am a huge political junkie, and I’ve wanted to do a story about a “wild child” heroine who could make life difficult for her politician father. Add in a cowboy/cop assigned to protect her and keep her out of trouble and bingo! The makings of a romance. Plus, my son is into organic farming now, and I figured that would make an interesting subplot. We all want to stay healthy, right? 

In looking at the cover, if you could add a caption or captions, what would they say? 
How did I, small town cop, Boone Braddock, get roped into this ticklish assignment?”  For myself, I’d say, “What could be better than a cop/cowboy for a hero?”   

How long did it take you to write?
Close to six months. I had quite a bit of research to do for this story so much of my time was taken up with that.  

What is your favorite scene? 
The opening “meet.” The heroine is saving a truckload of chickens from drowning. She is covered in chicken poop and feathers while opening cage doors. The hero has come to arrest her. He finds out an hour later that this lawbreaker is the woman he is supposed to protect.  

Who was your favorite character and why? 
I suppose Boone is my favorite. He always tries to do the right thing. But he’s only human and suffers bouts of jealousy over his brother who has a family and kids, things Boone wants. He has to fight his attraction to troublemaker Susannah, and his desire conflicts with his ethics.  

If you could pick fictional characters to play the hero and heroine, who would they be? 
I’d pick John Cusack to play Boone. I’ve always liked John’s little-boy innocence, almost as if he were saying, “How did I get into this mess?”

I’d pick a blond Emma Stone to play Susannah. There is always some mischief in Emma’s roles.  

Tell us one thing you learned during research. 
Wow, I learned so much about organic farming, pesticides and fertilizers. I can’t say that I’ve become a total convert to organic produce, but I’ve certainly begun to think about changing my ways.



What music would match the mood of this novel? 
Country, of course. “Rock me, Mamma, like a wagon wheel...” Susannah does rock Boone’s world.


This is your 29th book book.  Exactly what does that mean to you? It means I hope each book is a little better than the last. And I hope I keep touching readers with my stories.


What do you plan to work on next? 
I have a book coming out in early 2015. It’s a mother/son plot with an American hero, an injured pilot, thrown in. It’s funny and heartwarming and I hope readers like it. I don’t have a title yet.


What are you reading for pleasure right now? 
Adriana Trigiani’s Brava Valentine. I’ve never been to Italy, but this book transports me there in a most delightful way – an Italian wedding!  


Comments

  1. Congratulations on the release of THIS HERO FOR HIRE!

    I enjoyed reading your responses. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story, Cynthia! I love John Cusak and Emma Stone, those are super choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cynthia! Love the premise of your story - and a heroine saving chickens from drowning is too intriguing to ignore. I Love John Cusack, too. Must Love Dogs is one of my favorite movies. Congratulations on this release and this very cool cover. Never too old to appreciate the back of a handsome cowboy.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Cynthia,
    I already told you how much I like chickens in stories :) Your book sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that opening scene! Having grown up with chicken poop as part of the barnyard charm, I can imagine it all to well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to read a book that starts with a chicken rescue!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book sounds wonderful, especially if the hero is like John Cusack. I've always liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading Cynthia's responses. The opening sounds hilarious. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great casting! I want to see the movie (and read the book)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment