posted by Lee McKenzie
This delectable dessert recipe is a little late for Valentine's Day, but for any occasion it's a feast for the eyes. Thanks to generous layers of strawberries, chocolate and whipped cream, it’s a crowd pleaser, too. I've made it many times but have never taken a picture of it, so you'll have to use your imagination. And I'm sure you won't have any trouble doing that after you read the list of ingredients!
1 pound fresh strawberries (or whole frozen, unsweetened)
1 or 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
1 pound cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons orange liqueur (or orange juice)
3 cups whipping cream, whipped
sponge cake, thinly sliced (my local grocery store sells two round layers in a package, but you can also use lady fingers, any basic white cake or a pound cake)
6 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, grated
Slice the strawberries and set aside. If using frozen berries, they’re easiest to slice when still frozen. If using fresh strawberries, sprinkle the slices with one or two teaspoons of sugar and toss before you set aside. The sugar draws out the juices, which you need when you assemble the trifle.
Reserve a few berries (whole or sliced) for garnish.
Beat together cream cheese and the half cup of sugar. Stir in liqueur or orange juice. Fold in whipped cream.
Drain the strawberries and reserve the juice. You’ll need about one-quarter cup of juice. If necessary, add a little orange juice to make a quarter cup.
You’ll need a large trifle bowl or other clear glass bowl. Layer the ingredients in this order:
• Place half the cake slices in the bottom of the bowl and drizzle with half the reserved strawberry juice
• Cover cake with one-third of the cream cheese mixture.
• The next layer consists of half the strawberries. For the best visual effect, press some of the berries against the edge of the bowl.
• Sprinkle one-third of the grated chocolate over the berries.
• Repeat these layers.
• Spread the remaining one-third of the cream cheese mixture over the top.
• Garnish: arrange several whole or sliced strawberries on top of the final cream cheese layer and sprinkle on the rest of the grated chocolate.
Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Wishing all of you wonderful readers and writers a belated Happy Valentine's Day!
Until next time,
The Parent Trap (October 2014
"McKenzie takes a tired plot and turns it into a charming story."
4 Stars ~ RT Book Reviews