There's a lot of talk about bucket lists, those things you want to do before you die. I never really thought about mine until I was recovering from my double mastectomy. And instead of things I want to do before I die, I prefaced mine with "When I get better, I'm going to..."
So here's my list of what I'm going to do when I get beat cancer and have a healthy body:
1. Keep my body healthy. Although I've started this already, it means eating more fruits and vegetables and less sugar and fat; exercising more; and keeping up on my own well-being. No one else will take care of my body like I can, so it's time I started doing it.
2. Take some dance lessons. I'm a huge fan of Dancing with the Stars, and I've wanted to learn how to samba, cha cha and rumba. This has been on my list of "someday" for a while.
3. Go to Vegas. My ex-husband and I always talked about going, but it was all talk. I'm ready to stop talking and actually book the trip once my body has healed.
4. Throw myself a party. I want to celebrate that I'm staring cancer in the face and beating it. I'll invite my family and friends, serve food and drinks, play music, dance, laugh... I can't wait.
5. Find my own house. It's time that I move into my place since I'll be able to take care of myself once again. I'm looking forward to the search as well as the end result.
6. Buy a new wardrobe. There have been changes in my body that signal a need for this. I want to infuse my closet with lots of bright, fun colors.
7. Join a gym. While I was recovering, my sister joined a gym and raved about all the great programs they offer as well as the equipment and pool. I figure doing this helps with #1 and makes the need for #6 even better.
8. Laugh more. Love more. Live more. Because if we don't do these things, then what's the point?
So there's my list. What's on your bucket list?