A Seuss-Inspired Mother's Day by Cerella Sechrist (We Talk to Ourselves...a Lot! blog series)

Dr. Seuss art print by Cherie Sechrist (sweetclicks.etsy.com)
This Mother's Day is a particularly special one in my family. My brother and his wife are expecting a baby in July, and I'm super excited to become an aunt for the second time.

We're celebrating with appropriate fanfare - my mom is hosting the baby shower a week after Mother's Day, flying hundreds of miles from Pennsylvania to Texas for the Dr. Seuss-themed party she's planned. For the last few weeks, I've been presented with an endless parade of Seussical-themed prizes and favors for approval. My head has begun to spin from the countless rhymes my mother has dreamed up.

My mom, Cherie, is one of those creative craft people who can make works of art out of cast-off items the rest of us throw in the trash. She loves "upcycling" (a term I wouldn't have known if not for her) "trash" and turning it into "treasure."

Her Etsy shop, specializing in paper craft banners, "upcycled" creations from discarded books, and a variety of other goodies boasts hundreds of sales. When people ask me whether I inherited these artistic abilities, I just smile and say, "Not at all." (Although I did create the banner that graces the front page of her shop!)

As one of those people who can't even hang a picture evenly, much less successfully manipulate a glue gun, I bow to her superior skill in this department.

Perhaps because of my lack of talent in this area, I've been pretty impressed with the results of her work on the baby shower and thought that with the upcoming Mother's Day holiday, it might be nice to showcase my mom's talents. Here's some of what she's come up with: (Make sure you read to the end of this post to find out how to win an item from her Etsy shop!)

Each guest will receive a Cat in the Hat nametag with a flannel diaper attached.


Each table will boast a Cat in the Hat container (made from toilet paper rolls) with colorful gummy fish, a la One Fish, Two Fish


Prizes include mountable prints with Seuss sayings and graphics. The prints are made from old, discarded storybooks.

All signs, instructions, and games are colorful and creative with prose in Seuss style!

Prizes include Seuss quote prints with artwork from used storybooks; mini wooden boxes and crates with Seuss character images, pocket notebooks, necklaces, magnets, etc.


More prizes include "upcycled" Dr. Seuss notebooks created by my mom - the interior features blank pages in red and turquoise, and each one is bound with rings. The prize includes a Dr. Seuss pen!


Each family member, from great-grandparents to the "big sister", will have a colorful button to wear.


To celebrate this Mother's Day, my mom is joining with Loree and me to offer one lucky blog commenter a custom Dr. Seuss 8" x 10" print featuring the winner's favorite Seussical saying.

In addition to the print, the winner will receive a signed copy of my Harlequin Heartwarming novel, Gentle Persuasion, which I dedicated to my mom, as well as a signed copy of Loree Lough's book, Devoted to Drew, which features a single mom as the heroine! Both are perfect stories to share with your mom or daughter.

To enter, leave a comment below and share your favorite Dr. Seuss saying (or any quote about mothers.) We'll announce the winner in the comment section on Saturday morning.

And don't forget that you still have time to enter our Harlequin Heartwarming Mother's Day giveaway! There are lots of prizes! You can find out how to enter here.




Loree and I will be back next month with another edition of "We Talk to Ourselves...a Lot!"






Comments

  1. If I lived closer, I might just crash this baby shower! Sounds like one of the funnest, ever! And now I'm headed over to your mom's Etsy shop. I know I can't win a prize, but I can buy one for myself! :-) Happy Mother's Day to your mom, your sister-in-law and ALL the moms reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the bummer is that I actually can't take off and fly to Texas to join them! So I'll be missing it, too. But it's been fun to get to see everything come together. :) Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Loree! <3

      Delete
    2. Omigarsh, Cerella! Sorry you can't be there in person, but happy you'll be present in spirit! (Maybe they can Skype the party!) And thanks for the Mother's Day wishes, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I want to crash, too! My daughter is a teacher, and they celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday each year. One year, I went up to school and "her" kids painted quilt blocks and then we sewed them together, using Seuss fabric for the unpainted blocks. I will always remember it--I hope the kids do, too. And good for your mom--I'm not crafty at all, so definitely admire those who are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Liz. I have no crafting skills, so I'm always in awe of what craft-oriented people can do! My mom's friend helped her by making Dr. Seuss eye masks out of Seuss fabric - I didn't get to take a picture of those to post. Celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday is such a great way for teachers to get kids interested in reading! Your daughter sounds like a smart lady!

      Delete
  3. Love those one liners of Dr Seuss wisdom.
    One of my favorites is...."You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    Love all the party favors. What fun you will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Dr. Seuss quote, Brenda! I love it!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that's one of my favorite Seuss quotes, Brenda! Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
  4. Cerella, wondering how to finagle an invite to this party? I'd try to make my own button saying "Crazy Aunt Carol" and just show up but everyone would be on to me because it wouldn't look anything like your mom's! How fun! What a talented lady--I'm going to check out her shop, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Carol! That sounds like something you would do. Believe me, my mom would welcome you with open arms, whether she knew you or not. She's just cool like that. ;) Thanks for checking out her Etsy shop, too!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. That shower sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marion! I think it's going to be great!

      Delete
  6. Cerella, you make me wish I had time for crafting. I used to do a lot when my kids were little. And I was still thinking about yesterday's post, so I have to say---no house dresses for your mom/grandmother of that soon-to-be new baby. I'm sorry you can't go to the shower, it looks like it'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Roz. I started a project a month ago, for the Lough reunion in August, and still have more than half of it to complete. If only there were 48 hours in every day, y'know! Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
    2. Roz, it's tough to juggle a hobby like crafting as well as writing! It's nice to have that skill, even if you don't get to use it much these days. I think the shower will be awesome, too - I can't wait to see the photos of it after it's all over!

      Delete
    3. Loree, you craft, too? You really are superwoman. ;)

      Delete
  7. So sorry you can't go, Cerrella! Your mom is really talented. Happy Mother's Day to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia! I'm so proud of her. :) Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
  8. Cute ideas! I love Dr. Seuss.

    I like this quote. "Motherhood is a choice you make every day ... to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own ... to teach the hard lessons ... to do the right thing ... even when you are not sure what the right thing is ... and to forgive yourself over and over again for doing everything wrong." by Donna Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, LOVE that quote, Cheryl! I might just have to steal...er...borrow it! Happy Mother's Day and a wonderful weekend to you!

      Delete
    2. I really love that first quote shown on the blog. It's so simple and not one I remember seeing before.
      The motherhood one is great, too.

      Delete
    3. What a wonderful quote for Mother's Day, Cheryl! I love it so much. Thank you for sharing it!

      Delete
  9. What a fun--and sweet--theme for the baby shower! LOVE those name tags with the flannel diapers. So cute. I'm not crafts-y either (I was going to write "crafty" but that didn't seem right). But I'd sure enjoy that shower too. I think you should go, Carol, with your name tag. How funny! Happy Mothers Day to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I ran into the same problem when writing this post - "crafty"? "Craft-y"? I wonder if it's just us authors that struggle with this sort of thing. lol I'll pass along your compliments about the name tag. And I agree - Carol should crash the party!

      Delete
  10. It promises to be a fun baby shower, Cerella. You mother is very talented, and how nice for you to be able to get together so soon after Mother's Day, and to celebrate a new addition to your family. Best wishes for the arrival of the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome! I love the creativity. My favorite Dr. Suess quote is 'Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Heidi, that is such a good one! Dr. Seuss has so many, it's hard to choose favorites. But I really like this one, too. Thanks for the sweet compliment about the theme of the party!

      Delete
    2. Heidi, when you get a chance, email me at: cerella (at) live.com to claim your Seussical prize and signed copy of GENTLE PERSUASION! :)

      Delete
  12. Great idea for a party! My favorite Dr. Seuss book is "Horton Hears A Who!" and Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a visit from the Grinch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Angela! My mom read the Horton books to me so much growing up. My other favorite is Yertle the Turtle. :)

      Delete
  13. CONGRATULATIONS to our prize winner of a custom Etsy Dr. Seuss print from SweetClicks.etsy.com and signed copies of DEVOTED TO DREW and GENTLE PERSUASION!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I'm blown away by all the artistic ability I didn't inherit from my mother, Cherie! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful and creative way to do a party :) Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I'm going to pass your kind words on to my mom. :)

      Delete
  16. Aaaaaand the winner of a signed copy of DEVOTED TO DREW is Cheryl C! Send your mailing address to loree@loreelough.com and I'll get your prize in the mail asap! Congrats, and here's hoping you enjoyed a very happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaaaaand the winner of a signed copy of DEVOTED TO DREW is Cheryl C! Send your mailing address to loree@loreelough.com and I'll get your prize in the mail asap! Congrats, and here's hoping you enjoyed a very happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment