My love triangle with Knit and Crochet by Amie Denman


The greatest threat to my writing career is yarn.

Really.

I'm in a desperate head-over-heels love triangle with Knit and Crochet.

See this lavender baby blanket? It looks so innocent, but it's really a thief. It stole hours of my writing time without breaking a single law.





Having a baby? I've got pink and blue blankets stockpiled. I'm just waiting for you to deliver.
Although a skein, hank, or ball of yarn robs my writing time, I often choose simple repetitive patterns so my mind can wander to the love story I'm working on. This baby blue afghan is a favorite pattern I found on the wonderful charity knitting site Project Linus. Its pattern is easy to remember so I can think about my characters' conflict, not my own. Donating baby blankets to newborns who need them is an added benefit to my hobby.


The beauty of a great story is that you want to share it with people you love. Knitting and crocheting has the same benefit. I learned to knit and crochet from my mother. Mom also came through for me when I'd made 144 granny squares for this green afghan and could not face sewing them all together. Mom took the squares home, set them together, and even added a border. My mother and I enjoy sharing patterns, showing each other our works in progress, and touching every skein of yarn at the craft store. Although I'm right-handed, I knit left-handed because I learned from her. She gave me a life-long gift.


The story close to my heart and waiting to be told is the story of a woman who follows her dream (I'll be honest....it's my dream) and opens a yarn store. She stocks miles of yarn, shares her love of needlework with passersby, and somehow satisfies her heart's desire. As soon as I figure out the hero of this story, I'll write it. Perhaps the perfect idea will come to me while I'm making the turn at the end of a double crocheted row. I'll be waiting.



Comments

  1. I think you have a marvelous problem. I also love crocheting and letting my mind flow to whatever puzzle in my life needs to be solved at the moment. I give my baby blankets to The Alba Carter Foundation, which then donates them to our local children's hospital ICU. Each blanket gives a warm hug to a little one and lets the parents of the child know that someone cares. We donated over 700 blankets last year. Your blankets are lovely and being used for a wonderful cause...and I would guess that your stories are better because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amie, I'm impressed with anyone who can knit and/or crochet. My mother did both and tatting beautifully. The poor woman tried desperately to teach me. Alas, my sister learned, but I didn't. Your blankets are beautiful. My sister makes blankets and her church group does small quilts for Project Linus. They also sew the cutest summer dresses and shorts and shirts for children without parents in Africa. I could help with that. And I do embroidery. Your blankets are wonderful, and you have a lovely heart. Looking forward to your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was nine when my aunt taught me how to crochet, starting with fringe on handkerchiefs. Learned from my mother how to knit – first project a sock on four needles. Hers was smooth and beautiful, mine had lumps and bumps. Now I do mostly afghans in front of the TV while watching football. The season’s coming up soon, so I’ll be back to making more for future baby showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I love the patterns you had here. I'm going to look up the site and add to my collection.

      Delete
  4. I love to knit, not so much crochet and I love those patterns. Totally get the yarn thingy. I'm up near Canada today and I hear there's a great yarn shop close by...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to crochet but knitting throws me for a loop. Have a special pattern I use to make baby blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Amie. I like to knit and crochet, but don't do fabulous work so I'm planning to donate blankets to an animal shelter. I figure four-legged people won't be offended by dropped stitches. What a great way to work through plot, though. Anxious to see what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My stitches were always uneven in crochet and let's not even start with knitting. My nana is in heaven shaking her head

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've just told my story, only my 3rd point is fabric. I did have a heroine with a quilt shop and it was such fun that hopefully there will be another one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blankets, Amie. I like to knit but I've never managed to "get" how to crochet well. Sigh. My dad, on the other hand, loved to crochet and he made many lovely blankets and smaller throws. He's gone now but I still have some of them to treasure. Love how you think about your story while working on a blanket. We're really always writing, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO impressed all the way around. I have no idea how to knit or crochet. Both take great talent. My mother used to knit all kinds of things and I envy anyone who can do that. I can sew and every now and then I pull out my machine. I just don't have the time for it anymore. I'm guilty of reading another Heartwarming book or planting yet another tree, this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, ladies, for all your wonderful comments! Although I've been lucky enough to learn from my mom who learned from her mom, there are many terrific online videos that teach stitches and techniques. My sister is teaching her daughter to crochet right now. My sons are not lining up for lessons, but they are very helpful when one of our cats grabs my yarn and takes off running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is beautiful, Amie! I crochet and I made blankets for each of my kids when they were born, plus a few couch throws...but nothing as intricate and skilled as what you do. I find it soothing. Now knitting, I'd love to be able to be good at, but for some reason I always struggled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post!Examples of knitting and crochet have been found dating to 3000 years ago.
    No one knows exactly when it was invented because the fibres rot and have not been preserved like pots or metalware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to knit or crochet a striped scarf, and i am a beginnger to both, so i was wondering perhaps which one is easier? or better looking, on a scarf? which one do you suggest for making a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely check this out if you want to make homework fun. It will help you to achieve success

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment