What you can do is have your hero show off his sexy in other ways. This is no easy task, as we are sure any of our Heartwarming sisters will tell you. But here are a few ways to get your readers fanning themselves while reading a sweet story…
1. Attention to Detail - Nothing is sexier than a thoughtful guy – remembering something the heroine only mentioned once or that he just observed, like how she takes her coffee or her favorite ice cream flavor. Or how about buying her the perfect gift? Not the most expensive gift, but the one that says, “I’m paying attention and I’m paying attention to you.” Then, of course, there’s those times he does something above and beyond to prove he’s the one for her. Something like paying a fortune to make sure her entire family isn’t disgraced so he can ask for her hand in marriage? Ring any bells? Yeah … *faints*
2. Sweet Nothings - The compliments he gives or the way he sounds so smitten when talking about the heroine can make us melt. A whispered appreciation for what she’s wearing, the smile that lights up his face when someone mentions her name, his need to tell her he could listen to her laugh all day - all of these things ratchet up a hero’s desirability. Ryan Gosling’s “Hey Girl” memes are proof of that!
3. Animal Attraction - Let’s be real here, there’s nothing sexier than a guy sweet-talking a dog or a kitten or a guinea pig (Um, Carol? Guinea pig, really?) It doesn’t matter, give it fur and innocent eyes and we’re all goners when he snuggles it/cares for it/talks in that cute voice to it.
4. The Little Things - And the same holds true for a guy who’s good with kids. A big, tough cop cradling a baby or a single dad teaching his daughter to ride a bike - we can’t get enough of these heroes! He must love children, even if he doesn’t know he loves them at the beginning of the story. There are reasons single guys will take a baby to the park. No one can resist a guy with a little one in his arms.
5. The Way He Makes Her Feel - Sweet romance heroes don’t need to take their love interests into the bedroom to get a rise out of them. Hearing her thoughts when he takes her by the hand or looks at her with those baby blue eyes can show the reader everything she needs to see and leave her feeling breathless. The softness of his lips, the way he cradles her cheek in his hand - these are things our heroine can’t resist about our fully-clothed heroes.
What do you think makes sweet romance heroes sexy? Is it his job or his sense of humor? Does it help if he plays guitar or piano? Maybe it’s his brain! Share with us your thoughts on sweet and sexy. We can’t wait to hear!