Ah, Those Cowboys by Leigh Riker



Who doesn’t love a good cowboy?

In this case, three of them from the fictional town of Barren, Kansas.

I don’t automatically think of Kansas and cowboys together, but there is a lot of farming and ranching in that real-life area where I once lived. And quite a few bison ranches too, one of which figures prominently in The Reluctant Rancher, the first book in my new series, Kansas Cowboys, to debut in October. Here's the cover image and first copy--hot off the press! The books arrived just the other day.

In the story Logan Hunter is a professional test pilot, not a rancher. But when his beloved grandfather gets thrown by one of his own bison and breaks a leg, Logan comes home to run his ranch for him while he recuperates. The Circle H where Logan grew up holds bad memories for him, however. It was there that he nearly lost his son and did lose his marriage. Now divorced, and hoping to regain custody of his little boy, Logan can’t wait to leave the ranch again.

On the other hand, Blossom Kennedy is only too happy to find a hiding place—and a temporary job as caregiver--at the Circle H. She’s on the run from her abusive ex. It’s too bad she can’t stay here permanently. Blossom yearns for a place to belong—a place where she and her unborn baby will be safe. She doesn't count on falling in love with Logan. But what if she could stay, and with him? Does she dare to take another chance on love? 

I hope you’ll enjoy Logan and Blossom’s story as well as the rest of the series. Look for Cowboy of Her Dreams (working title) about Logan’s friend Grey Wilson and Cowboy on Call in which Logan’s estranged brother Sawyer finally comes home.

Ah, those cowboys...I’ve always been a horse lover. Are you a virtual cowgirl too at heart? Or are horses not your thing? 

Also coming soon is A Heartwarming Holiday: Fifteen connected stories set in Christmas Town, Maine that cover the season from Thanksgiving through New Year’s.


You can pre-order now at:


The set will be released on October 11th, and my contribution is “Thankfully Yours” about a wounded former Navy SEAL who clashes over the renovations of his family’s ski resort with a widow who lost her husband there. Can these two find love again?  


And...wait for it. There's more! Be sure to get this collection of thirteen Heartwarming Thanksgiving stories out in November. My story is "Her Thanksgiving Soldier."



Happy reading!



Comments

  1. You have exciting months ahead of you, Leigh, with three releases!

    Horses are definitely "my thing!" I have loved horses and riding since I was a kid.

    My dog, Logan, thanks you for naming your hero after him. :-D

    Best wishes for the release of THE RELUCTANT RANCHER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! Three in such a short time is a first for me. And Logan is very welcome. When I heard about him, I had to smile at that coincidence. I so enjoy seeing his pictures.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Leigh! I'm looking forward to reading Logan and Blossom's story. I pre-ordered the Heartwarming Holiday collection...can't wait to read all of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thank you for your continuing support of Heartwarming. I hope you enjoy the holiday collection and Rancher too!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new release! What a gorgeous cover. Looking forward to the holiday novella...loved last year's story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carol! I like this cover too. So glad you enjoyed last year's Christmas story. This one set around Thanksgiving is about Cara's friend from that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Leigh! Congratulations on all that hard work coming to fruition. I love cowboys! And a cowboy helping a damsel on the run - great! I had a Hopalong Cassidy outfit when I was five, thought Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were the greatest people ever and cried my heart out over Gypsy Colt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muriel, thanks! What memories you brought back. I loved Roy Rogers and Dale. My friend was crazy for Hopalong. Remember a show called The Three Mesquiteers with a character named, get this, Stony Brook? He was divine.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like The Reluctant Rancher is a wonderful story. Look forward to reading it. I've been on a horse four times, and I can remember every moment, most of it wishing the ride would end. The last time I thought I'd split in two and walked the horse the last mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Marion. There are those endless rides sometimes. But at least you tried-- and can claim experience to write about cowboys. 😌 Hope you do enjoy Rancher.

      Delete
  7. Leigh, I love horses, cowboys, Christmas and Thanksgiving---so you've hit all of my "like buttons". I'm looking forward to all of them. Keep those cowboys and ranchers coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you too, Roz!! Cowboys are fun to write, aren't they? I've got the next one in big trouble right now. Sure hope I can get him out! Glad I hit all your like buttons.

      Delete
  8. Leigh, I love that your cowboy story isn't in the "typical" place for cowboys. I've found it interesting that I've met more real life working cowboys in Arizona than I ever did in Texas. I can't wait to read your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, thank you! I wanted to use a different setting for this series--and bison instead of cattle. Cowboys can be found, at least rodeo ones, even in Ohio.

      Delete
  9. I haven't been on a horse in ages, and then it was one of those dude ranch situations where we all ambled around in a group. Horses kind of intimidate me. Cowboys, though, are another matter. Looking forward to reading about your cowboy heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the old trail ride, especially good if you're uneasy around horses. Maybe you should find a cowboy to take you riding. 🤕 Or not. Enjoy the books!

      Delete
  10. LOVE Cowboys! Can't wait to read this, Leigh! Last time I went to Hawaii, I convinced my BFF to do a horse ride through a valley. I got thrown...she didn't. I've since learned that I'm find admiring horses from a vast difference. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, to ride in Hawaii sounds perfect-- excerpt for you getting thrown of course. Ouch. I took a bad fall, got bucked off actually once, which pretty much ended my riding days. Decided I had more books to write and needed to be in one piece. I now feed carrots instead of getting on the horse myself.

      Delete
  11. So much fun stuff coming up for you! I love a good cowboy story as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee i-o Kayee, or however you spell that, Amy! Anyway, enjoy the Cowboys. They are a romantic fictional bunch, aren't they?

      Delete
  12. I can never resist a good cowboy, or a woman looking for a home. I love horses, and bison (I still want to call them buffalo), and I'm rather fond of Kansas, where my husband's family hails from. Can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leigh, this sounds so fun! I love the idea of your cowboy being "reluctant." It's really interesting how the ranching profession has changed over the years. My uncle is a cattle rancher who doesn't even use horses for his work. (He loves them but prefers ATVs for the job.) I also like horses - from a distance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment