It's Springtime, Right?

posted by Lee McKenzie

Hello, Heartwarmers. I've been looking forward to this blog post because I planned to share photos of my garden springing to life. This is something westcoasters love to do because our gardens are usually in full bloom as the rest of the continent emerges from winter. This year, Mother Nature decided to humble us.  Springtime is taking her sweet time getting here. And as my hydrangeas green up and my ferns contemplate unfurling, they are not yet photogenic.

Luckily, while my garden grows, other things love to pose for my camera, namely, my latest thrift store finds.

First up, this very nice mid-century modern stainless steel tray I scored for $1.


It had a few scratches and was, frankly, kind of grubby, but it cleaned up nicely. Even better, it was the perfect addition to the mid-century modern bar cart I found at another thrift store last year.


I must confess that I don't actually like cocktails, but I    like the idea of cocktails and I have always wanted a bar cart. They just seem so elegant. So here you see my new $1 tray atop my cart, along with the crystal ice bucket with the hammered silver handle that was another vintage find.

Last year I found this bar cart (it's also brilliant as a tea cart) at a thrift store. The price tag: $50. I loved it, felt the price was fair, and it now graces my home. After I brought it home and did some research, I discovered it's solid walnut and was made in Yugoslavia, and I have seen the same cart for sale online for hundreds of dollars. (Patting self on back for being able to spot a bargain.)


As much as I would love to be the kind of person who hosts cocktail parties (even though I don't drink them!), I love being a grandmother even more. And my new favorite thing is to keep an eye out for great deals for the new love of my life. Here are some recent finds:


A fun little denim dress with red plaid pockets and ruffles, an adorable mint green Gymboree dress, and a pair of like-new Oshkosh overall shorts...all three pieces for $7. And here's the little fashionista who'll be wearing them.


If you ask this grandma, babies do not come any cuter. And whether the love-of-grandma's-life ultimately prefers denim or diva, grandma hopes she'll love thrifting. And books. And, of course,  gardening.

Happy reading, Heartwarmers.



Until next time,

Lee, writing fifty shades of pink

To Catch a Wife
His Best Friend's Wife
www.leemckenzie.com




Comments

  1. Great finds, Lee! My favorite is definitely the mint green Gymboree dress. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that dress, Jill. It has a floral border above the hem and some lovely lace and ribbon detail around the bodice. I bought it on St. Patrick's Day and everything green at that thrift store was half price!

      Delete
  2. We really have been experiencing strange weather patterns this if your gardens on the west coast aren't in bloom yet, either.

    I agree with Jill. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange weather indeed, Kate. The cherry blossoms were at least three weeks late this year. We did have daffodils for Easter, though!

      Delete
  3. Yes, she is! I love your bargains, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm sorry not to see photos of your garden, Lee, your granddaughter is an eye catcher for sure - love the sunglasses. Maybe some summer blooms next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to get her used to the sunglasses so those little peepers will have good UV protection in the summertime. We are looking forward to beach weather!

      Delete
  5. That tray and bar cart were great finds. They look terrific together. You have a good eye. And you can't beat those cute outfits for your grand baby. Win-win. And she is adorable in those glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! We hope she'll get used to the glasses by the summertime and not be pulling them off all time!

      Delete
  6. Oh, you made me want to take pictures of cool things I've found. I used to go antiquing and have always wanted a cart bar. I saw one years ago and talked myself out of it. I've thought about it ever since (even went back for it but it was gone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find another and even more awesome bar cart someday!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant finds, Lee! I love going through antique and vintage shops in our area. It's a trip down memory lane and I almost always find a treasure at a great deal! My kids love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite pastimes as well, Rula. My daughter and I love scoping out local thrift, vintage and consignment stores.

      Delete
  8. Lee, way to score! These are some great finds. The bar cart is beautiful and I love the way you arranged it with the cocktail glasses. Thrift shopping is one of my favorite things, too. Of course, the adorable grand-baby tops them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Of course we think she's the most beautiful baby in the world, and so far no has disagreed with us ;)

      Delete
  9. A ten on the cuteness scale for sure. How could she miss with your brilliant fashion finds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, what a sweet thing to say. I bought the leopard-print jacket she's wearing at T.J. Maxx. That was a fun find!

      Delete
  10. Oh, Lee, you speak my language!!! I love thrift stores (when I can find the time to go) and will happily spend hours going through shops. Your granddaughter is adorable! I'm sure she's the best dressed kid anywhere. My 20 month old granddaughter has developed a shoe fettish and will change shoes several times a day and I admit, I feed into it and buy her new shoes every chance I get. (Even though I myself only own about 5 pair.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that bar cart--think of all the different things it could be used for other than cocktails! Like a book stand, file cart in the office, a place for hats and gloves by the door. It's a great find. The clothes for your cute little granddaughter are, too. There's a thrift store near me where I've found my favorite handbags and jeans that actually are the right length--not easy for a five-foot and change woman. All the best with your spring planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very versatile cart, Virginia. I have used it for coffee and dessert. Have even taken it out to the patio. I happen to have a "thing" for handbags and always check them out at thrift stores. I've found two older Kate Spade bags in excellent condition and I love them!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful bargains, Lee! I love thrift shop bargains. I collect Depression glass and sometimes china or pottery that catches my eye. Recently, I paid $4.99 for a small Belleek pitcher that turned out to be worth more than a hundred dollars. Your stylin' baby granddaughter is adorable. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, what an amazing find! I have several pieces of depression class (two of them were my grandmother's) and I also love milk glass because it's so versatile.

      Delete
  13. Some great deals! And what a cutie-pattootie you've got there. :) I'm sure she'll love doing all those things with Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to outings with her, Patricia! Thrift stores, the library, the petting zoo...all of my favorite places!

      Delete
  14. You are proof that one person's junk is another person's treasure as the old saying goes. chuckle. My mil would love you. She loves shopping thrift stores also. And you are training your little one to follow in your footsteps. How cute is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I love to reuse, recycle and up-cycle things that still have a lot of use left in them. Trash to treasure...that's my motto :)

      Delete
  15. I love your baby finds. She us on lucky little one.
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining me, Jo-Ann! I am definitely one lucky grandma!

      Delete

Post a Comment