Why We Write

by Shirley Hailstock

In the last few weeks, I've written little. I've been consumed by the tragedies the United States has endured. My heart cries for people I do not know. The victims of fires, hurricanes, and mass murder have entered my life when I never thought they would. So why is my writing important? What do I give readers that can help them in light of the devastation that assaults our senses on every television station and streaming video?  Then I remembered something. A while ago, when the United States was attacked on September 11, 2001, one of my friends and fellow writers April Kihlstrom posted comments on our chapter loop on why writing is important and what we give our readers and future generations.






I'm reprinting it here, not because I'm to lazy to write my own blog, but because I could not have said this important message any better or clearer. As I said, she wrote this after 9-11, but you can insert any day of the week, and any tragedy that has befallen our sisters and brothers and it will be just as relevant.




Words Matter

In the light of Tuesday's tragedy, I have heard people say they do not feel like writing. And I understand that feeling, we are all numb with shock. But we are writers. When we do not write, we cut ourselves off from something that is an essential part of who we are.

I know the impulse to say: It's only writing, it's not important. That's often the reason our writing gets pushed aside and given the least priority in our lives. But I would suggest that writing may be one of the most important things we can do right now, not instead of donating blood or giving support or helping in other ways, if we can.

We are writers. We can give voice to the pain and horror and fear and grief and courage and strength we are feeling and seeing. As hard as it is, I would suggest we all try to write about this time. I do not think it will be over quickly. And it will be important, later, to have a record of what went on. When children and grandchildren ask: What was it like when the towers came down? It may be the words we write that will provide the answer.






We are writers. When we put pain and grief into words, we help others understand their own pain and grief. When we write about fears, we give shape to what others may only hazily understand and when fear has a concrete shape, we can begin to take steps to guard against what it is we fear.

When we write about courage and honor and strength, we provide role models for those who may face challenges in their own lives, now and in the future.

When we write about joy and love and goodness, we provide concrete reminders that pain and betrayal and tragedy are not all there is in the world, even if it may feel that way for the moment.





We are writers. When we write we tap into something inside ourselves that can help us cope in times of crisis. When we write, the words we shape may help others cope as well. We give comfort and hope where they might otherwise be none. We give shape to the emotions others might not know how to name.

So I encourage you to write, even if it's only a page. Perhaps not on your current manuscript, but write about something, perhaps about the tragedy unfolding. Because words do matter. 

–April Kihlstrom

  September 14, 2001




Re-reading this made me remember and understand that what I do and what I give to the world matters. I don't write about tragedy per se, but I often use the emotions that I feel in my writing.

So pick up a book and bask in the story. At the heart of every book, whether it be light hearted or deeply complex, are real people with real lives and how they cope with the external world.

And now, I'm back to writing.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing April's words with us, Shirley. I believe some of the most powerful writing comes during those difficult times in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. This put perspective in my mind during 9-11 and I try to remember it when things happen and we question our purpose.

      Delete
  2. I'm honored you used my words, Shirley, and touched that you've kept them all this time. Proof, maybe, of how much words can matter. This is a difficult time, for so many of us and I know that yours are among the books I turn to for comfort when it all gets to be too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so touched by this back in 2001 and it continues to be appropriate.

      Delete
  3. Shirley, I have that footloose feeling, too. So many sad things have happened and the prospect of even worse if we get into another major war has had me watching far too many news broadcasts. Seeing the cost to people who have lost everything breaks my heart. Thanks for this reminder to shake out of it and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will still be on our minds, but to know our little corner of the world has merit is helpful. I love the writing part of the process and to not do it does feel like something is missing. I picked up my story last night and went to bed feeling great that my fictional characters were there for me.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Shirley, and thanks to April, whose thoughts on writing and the writing process have fed me for years now--years. I've done Book-in-a-Week several times because of April. I do believe everything you and April say is true--and it's why I believe, without sounding too pretentious, I hope, most of us are compelled to write (and I include all kinds of writing) because we feel called to it. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done Book-in-a-Week several times too and I always tried to get April's page count. Usually, I can get half of it, but the words and pages add up.

      Delete
  5. Wow. You're post really gave me pause today. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I don't keep a diary or a journal, but I do keep words that touch me. And April's words really touched me.

      Delete
  6. Without books, my life would be different, and much poorer. Thanks for a thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a life without books. They saved me many time when I was growing up (a process that does not end). I could always turn to a book for whatever I needed and they never failed me.

      Delete
  7. Very moving. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shirley, thank you for remembering and posting such a moving and poignant article. Thank you, April, for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm sure we all know why we write, and our readers who are no different than we are, get inspiration from our stories. I, as a reader, get that same inspiration.

      Delete
  9. All I know is that I'm a better person when I write, to myself and others. And I become a better person when I read the right book at the right time. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to feel calmer once I've entered and returned from my fantasy world.

      Delete

Post a Comment