How lovely it was...

                by Liz Flaherty
Helen suggested talking about winter memories today, which caused me to frown at my keyboard for a while. Thinking.
I don’t mind winter. I won’t say I love it, and I’m never sorry to see it end, but
I don’t actually mind it. It’s not hot, for one thing. For another, there are no bugs—or hardly any. It is a time that fully embraces the by-the-quart eating of soup. All kinds of soup. It is a time of snow. Before you can object to that, let me qualify that by adding that as long as the wind is not blowing, the roads are cleared, and there is no ice involved, I love snow. If I were an artist I’d paint snowscapes all the time. I’d do it while I was inside, of course. I don’t actually want to go out in it.
         
But we used to. Our kids, you see, played winter sports. As people who never played organized sports of any kind, we were never sure exactly how this happened, but one son played basketball, our daughter played volleyball, and the other son played football. (I know that technically, football is a fall sport, but when you’re sitting on the bleachers in the snow watching your kid slide around on a white gridiron, it feels like winter.)
          With sports comes quality cuisine. Nachos, hot dogs, popcorn, candy bars,
hot chocolate—did I mention nachos? Sports are also good exercise for athletes’ parents. At our school, the home side is always the Other Side. This means walking roughly four miles around the end of the football field to the home bleachers. Then four miles back to get the blanket you left in the car.
          Basketball and volleyball offer fitness opportunities, too. If you sit on the top row of bleachers, you get to lean against the wall. Never mind that there’s a reason those are called nosebleed seats and that your knees—well, okay, my knees—are ready for me to sit down about a row and a half up from the floor.
          Winter sports are hard on your voice. Yelling at officials who in no way
understand the game they’re officiating. Yelling some more—and possibly spilling popcorn on everyone below you—when your particular athlete does something outstanding. Yelling at a parent across the floor or field who calls your athlete a name.
          It’s been years. My kids played in the 1980s and early 90s. But those memories are still some of the best, the sharpest, the sweetest.


          How about you? Any winter memories you’d like to share? 
          Merry Christmas!

by Helen DePrima

I can’t imagine I can contribute any new thoughts about Christmas. My cards are sent, gifts bought, tree decorated. Now I can concentrate on surviving the rest of the winter. I don’t ski or skate or snowshoe; my winter sport is keep a path shoveled between the back door and the bird feeder.

But except for my childhood when the rare snowfalls in Kentucky brought out my
grandparents’ antique sleigh pulled by our old pinto Mothball, I’ve spent most of my life in places where snow is celebrated rather than tolerated.

After high school, I lived ten years in Boulder and Fort Collins, Colorado without once skiing down a slope. My experience with snow focused more on keeping my VW Beetle on the mountain roads between Visiting Nurse appointments. Creeping down an unmarked single-lane from the high country once in a snow storm, I vowed never again to schedule a winter house call without first checking the forecast. The wet blacktop winding through Poudre Canyon, when I slid down the last switchback, looked like my hope of heaven.

After my husband graduated from vet school, I should have insisted on settling where winter lasted maybe a month around Christmas. Instead, we’ve spent the last forty years in New Hampshire. I get through time between Christmas and the end of mud season by poring over seed catalogues, by starting a quilt and finishing a manuscript. I have a fire in the wood stove and my laptop on the corner of my lap not taken up by my Maine Coon. Let it snow.



Comments

  1. Your white knuckled trip in the mountains reminded me of the solid whiteout I drove on the highway. The normal 2-hour drive at night took 4.5 hours. My earliest memories of dealing with snowed-in roads is on a school bus. When the bus usually went in the ditch in the mornings, it was met with cheers from the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What scared me most about that trip down the canyon was the isolation. No cell phone back then, and the few houses I passed were summer cabins, locked down until spring. No one would guess anyone would be dumb enough to come down that road in a snow storm, and a snow-covered Beetle at the bottom of the gorge would be just another boulder.

      Delete
    2. Lol. I had a few of those bus-in-the-ditch moments!

      Delete
  2. Nowadays winter is best enjoyed in my childhood memories as I hate the cold and often fear slipping on icy sidewalks. But I remember wonderful wintry nights skating on backyard rinks under clear starry skies. I love the photo of your family sleigh, Helen - now I’d leave my cosy nook for a moonlit ride in that! Merry Christmas to,you,both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Janice. I broke my leg nearly thirty years ago on a fragment of ice in my own driveway; ever since, I creep along like a turtle on the rare occasions I'm forced to walk on a slick surface.

      Delete
    2. That sleigh is beautiful, isn't it? I share that fear of falling. I'm walking around with a broken nose right now because I tripped over the snowy shoes we left on the rug to dry.

      Delete
  3. Liz, my memory is learning to ice skate on a frozen creek at the age of five pushing a little chair ahead of me. Helen, sounds like you have a memoir in you. That sleigh pic is lovely. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why we had a sleigh, considering the rarity of snow. I suspect my grandfather acquired it on one of his horse-trading expeditions. In addition to horses and mules, he sometimes brought home goats, piglets, and once a fancy pet chicken with feathery feet.

      Delete
    2. I love that memory, T.R. I don't know how to skate, but wish I'd learned--especially now that I'm picturing a little girl with a chair. :-)

      Delete
  4. There was a time I liked snow. Loved sledding, loved skiing, loved drinking hot buttered rum in the ski lodge. I'm not sure when I began to like summer better. Not humidity, but summer heat draws me. When our kids grew up and moved away and arthritis stopped my skiing, maybe that's when I began to like snow from inside my house better. The post makes me reflect, though. Enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I liked the heat, but I just don't. I've been in a near-constant state of hot flash since I turned 40. I admit to liking it all better from inside, though.

      Delete
  5. Roz, like you, I treasure the warmth of summer. Growing up in the southern Ohio Valley before AC was common, I can laugh at what passes for heat in New Hampshire. I can tolerate winter for the beautiful spring (all ten minutes of it), summer and fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once we had a snowstorm in Memphis and school closed down. I had the bright idea that if my sister and I got off the school bus half a mile from home, we could take a shortcut through the woods to our house. I forgot about the dry creek that ran between us and the house. The dry creek we couldn't climb out of. By the time we got home, our parents were frantic. Grounded, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, Pat. Shades of Anne of Green Gables!

      Delete
    2. Your folks must have had a fit once you showed up.

      Delete
  7. Liz Flaherty, you love Winter for all the same reasons I do: it’s not hot, the bugs are gone (mostly), and the snow is lovely. If the daylight was longer I’d love it even more. I miss the lovely flowers in Spring, but I’m beginning to love winter more and more. It encourages warmth and cozy pursuits like reading Heartwarming books with my cat at my feet and a hot beverage in my hands. What’s not to love about that? It’s a blessing to have four seasons for sure, but I do have my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie -- Yes, you're in a perfect climate, four seasons but not too much of any. My daughter just moved to Mebane and loves it after 14 years in Brooklyn.

      Delete
    2. I just visited NY during the coldest week they’d had and surprisingly I was okay with it. I was dressed really warm. I lived in Bklyn most of my life and was used to the cold. It’s funny, I feel worse in warm, humid weather than I do in cold weather. Go figure.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for both posts. Winter holds many memories for me, too, especially here in Wisconsin, and in Maine and Chicago, too. Every time there's a big snow drop it's compared to some other storm. In Asheville, NC, where I lived in the '90s, I was a volunteer for a crisis line, and the person who ran it said she looked forward to the snowfall, which didn't happen that often. She said the city became more peaceful when snow started falling and the crisis line was quiet for a day or two--and sometimes longer because it was hard to remove snow there and things shut down for days sometimes. It turned out to be true. There is something about the quiet snow and slowing down that truly brings a sense of peace. But at the moment, I have to hustle out to get "supplies" before the snow starts later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids live near Asheville, but up in the mountains. The snow they had this winter was beautiful, but if I'd been there, I'd still be in the house--no way I'd drive down the mountain in it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Virginia -- yes, winter storm predicted here tomorrow as well. I love Asheville, except for their weird traffic patterns -- all those intertwining Interstates. We spent Thanksgiving a few years ago at an inn up the mountain from Maggie Valley and got snowed in for three days. Their road drops 2500 ft. in two miles, a harrowing slither down to the valley.

      Delete
  9. I have similar memories to both of you. Helen, I remember my first time driving on ice after moving from Texas to Wyoming.(Not that West Texas doesn't have ice, but I'd never driven on it.) I was doing okay, creeping along the amost-abandoned highway, when overconfidence made me speed up to maybe 20, and I started to drift. I touched the brake, spun in a full circle and a half, and ended up facing the wrong way. Over on the frontage road, a policeman watched me from his car. I waved, turned around, and crept home. Lesson learned.

    Liz, I understand about winter sports. In Alaska, high school soccer is played in the spring. By spring, I mean they bladed the snow off the turf and piled it in berms surrounding the field so the teams could play. There always seemed to be a stiff breeze coming off the ocean. The players on the field moved enough to keep warm, but the bench and the parents huddled in sleeping bags and shivered. If any younger sibling had happened to lick the metal bleachers where we sat, we'd have had a Christmas story moment to deal with. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe bought a warmer hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Yes on that warmer hat! Like you, there isn't much I'd change except to have those years last longer.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, Wyoming weather! We hit snow once on I-80 in May, got as far as Laramie before the state gated off the highway. Spent three days there (Go 'Pokes!) before we could continue south into Colorado.

      Delete
  10. I grew up in Buffalo, NY -- enough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. So you have some indication of what winter can be like, right?

      Delete
    2. I graduated nursing school at University of Rochester -- I well remember lake-effect snow. The best part of those years was the tunnel from our dorm to Strong Memorial Hospital and the first Wegman's within walking distance.

      Delete
  11. It was lovely when I managed to get help on https://buyessays.info/blog/abortion-essay-writing-guide. I even got a high grade for abortion essay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment