Feeling the Love by Cheryl Harper

Today, I'm in a grateful mood. I love writing, but I am not writing today. This is a celebration. When I think about how I feel, George Michael is singing "Freedom" and dancing. On Friday, I sent off a book that is going to require some heavy editorial lifting, but it's finished.

For a while, I've been in survival mode. No reading (WHAT?). No movies. Just work.

Today? I'm looking around in a Joan Wilder, "I just blew my nose on piece of paper, but I survived the deadline" haze and wondering at what point I just sell the house as-is and move to a new one instead of clearing out the dishes and laundry.

I'd like to say that's not me, but I think it might be the new me. I've always been all or nothing about life. I'll do it all (resolve to lose weight AND declutter my house AND build a strict budget AND be everything to everyone AND be happy about it) or nothing.

This year has already proven to be a lesson in learning the middle ground. I made the deadline but my house is wrecked, so destroyed I will physically fight anyone who tries to enter my kitchen at this point. I've missed some things to do something that's important to me but managed to find the time for friends when they needed me.

And today? Forget the mess. Forget the taxes. Forget the groceries I desperately need. I ordered pizza. I'm reading books. That's what I love the most. That's why I write. And that's what it takes to sit back down in front of the computer.

To my friends who write, I salute you. Thank you for learning to balance it all.
And to my friends who read, tell me what I've missed. What's the most recent book you read that was reading at its very best?

Comments

  1. I don't do all or nothing. Instead, I do bits of things, but none of them well. Then I decide I need to do things properly, and focus on one thing, and think I've got it mastered, then I add another, and the first isn't going quite as well. Then I start adding in a third thing, and by then the first thing isn't happening anymore. So I get eating healthy under control, add in physical exercise, and don't eat quite as well, but still sort of good, and then decide I have to take care of filing...and then as it all starts to fall apart, I go on a reading binge.

    I know the solution, cloning, but I haven't had the time to learn that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CLONING! OF COURSE! I OVERLOOKED THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Note to self: get a clone.

      Delete
  2. I love this day! Have a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week I'm who you were last week. I'll see you on the other side. Meanwhile, I recommend A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. A quiet study on the heroic small deeds and the sudden grand gestures. Enjoy your holiday, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're getting time to decompress. We all need that, and right now I'm catching up on the house, reading, decluttering,etc.-- I.e., recharging my batteries. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my house is really bad. It will take some time...

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your day! Grab that book you want to read with no guilt attached!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you to sigh and kick back when you hit, the end. Every writer goes through times when the dust bunnies take over. You will survive and be a better writer for overlooking some stuff around the house. Enjoy this freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really developed my overlooking skills lately. This is the key to success.

      Delete
  7. Your day sounds ideal! Reading, eating what you want, relaxing. We all need days like this. Have a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, and enjoy that pizza. You've earned it! The kitchen will wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It has waited for days. Tomorrow is soon enough!

      Delete
  9. Oh Cheryl, I feel your pain! Kudos to you for taking a day off. Fabulous idea. I'm a lot like Kim. I often spread myself too thin so a do a lot of things and none of them well. I took a weekend off to go out of town with the hubby and now I'm ready to tackle the world. We need more days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s right Cheryl Harper. Enjoy your day. Eat that pizza and enjoy your book. I should be food shopping right this minute, but the weather has drastically changed and I feel tired so I came home and I’m reading the Heartwarming blog instead. I need to lose weight desperately, but not today. I’ve already sabotaged that goal today but oh well, hopefully I’ll do better tomorrow.

    I read a Kristan Higgins book, Now That You Mention It, and I really enjoyed it. I also liked The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth. The ending wasn’t as strong as I anticipated, but it was definitely a page turner.
    But honestly, I’m missing my Heartwarming books right about now. I got caught up in book review commitments and got away from them and I’m happy that my commitments are slowly wrapping up so I can get back to them. Rula Sinara’s book, Every Serengeti Sunrise, was EXCELLENT!! I’m longing for her next one. And of course your books are always on my tbr shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laurie! Thank you for the suggestions. I need to add more to my TBR stacking. Running out would be terrible!

      Delete
  11. Oh, Cheryl, I feel your pain. It sounds like you manage even better than me under deadline - at least you manage to make time for friends. Lol. I love the idea of balance and middle ground but I struggle to find it. Enjoy your day! If you like mysteries, I recommend The Child by Fiona Barton.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Learning to balance it al? Uh, I don't think so. :-) I'm on deadline, too, and my house mirrors yours. And I still have my taxes to do...But I wouldn't change it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to spend time with friends. They recently showed me a site where you can find study materials, for example presentation and speech writing. I started using this site. I have more free time. This is very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment