Spring Getaway

by Kathleen Scheibling, Executive Editor

Life is busy. Work, home, family, friends—there’s always something that needs to be taken care of! Sometimes it seems all too much. So that’s a perfect time for a spring getaway!

This winter was a tough one in Canada, so this May I took a trip with my mom to South Carolina for some sunshine. Mom was born in Canada but she’s always been a proper southern lady.
On our trip we enjoyed the beautiful weather and read a lot of books set in the south. There’s something so lovely about reading a book while you are actually immersed in the atmosphere. Ah, palm trees. (That’s not a real bird.) 
Flowers make me happy. The city of Charleston is known for their flower boxes, so we did a walking tour around the Historic District where we enjoyed the beautiful blooms.

There’s also some stunning southern architecture in Charleston. As one of the three major port cities of the south, there are similarities with the ironwork in Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans. The iron came in as ballast on ships. These are the things you learn on walking tours!
A major focus of our trip was finding a dress for mom, who is going to a wedding this summer. She insists you can’t really find a proper dress in Canada and the south is where to shop. I won’t show you exactly what she bought, but it looks something like this:
Oh, I’m kidding. There are fewer ruffles on it. 😊

A trip can recharge you and inspire you. Do you love reading books set in places you are visiting, or in places where you’d love to go?

Kathleen 

Comments

  1. Your trip looks fantastic. I loved Charleston and Savannah when I visited there. I like reading books set in places that make me want to visit them. so that if I get lucky enough to go there, the place feels familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Hope you're well, Roz!

      Delete
  2. Love Charleston! That’s a fascinating fact about the iron ballast. And, oh, Scarlett. That dress was perfect. Your trip sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trip with Mom sounds great! I'm glad you got that time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting the South, too. I'm sure it was a great place to chase down spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely trip--Charleston is so much fun, and I'm partial to Beaufort a little south and love the barrier islands in that region. It's a fun setting for romances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the architecture looking the same as New Orleans. I love to explore historical places! Thanks for sharing your journey and your mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely trip! Like Pamela, I love historical places! And more than once I've traveled some place just because I read about it in a book. :) Now I'm trying to convince my husband that I need to travel to Ireland because I want to write a story set there. So far I haven't convinced him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh, oh, tell your husband that if he goes, I'll force my husband to go, and we can go together! There's a movie I love set there. Something about Matchmaker. Anyone know what movie I'm thinking of?

      Delete
    2. Ireland was my one and only trip to Europe--it was so much fun!

      Delete
  8. Great pic of you and your mom. Give her my best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being in Charleston - my husband and I were there on a motorcycle. They do not like motorcyles in Charleston, which led to the infamous port a potty story...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a dream trip! I DO like reading books about the locations I'm visiting or have recently visited. WALKING TOURS? I'm so there! I love them and bus tours where the tour guide explains the history and what you're seeing. I learn so much more when I take the tours. And Charleston is one of my favorites. My mother, when she was young, worked as a dietician in Savannah. I miss the way her words had that smooth Southern sound as they rolled off her tongue. You're so lucky! (What's wrong with Scarlett's dress? It's perfect for a wedding! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathleen your post was lovely and reminded me of a trip to London England with my mother (who treated me!) the year I turned forty. All these years later I still have wonderful memories of our time together. Charleston sounds sublime. Maybe one day with one of my daughters....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you got to take a trip with your mom. That's so wonderful and the pics are great. And you two look so much alike!:) I'd have guessed she was your mom even if you hadn't mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE reading books set in places I’d like to go. I particularly enjoy books set in the U.K., but it’s so nice reading books that are set just about anywhere I’ve never been because it teaches me about different places and I just love learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these photos. Yes, I love to read books set in a place I'm going just before and during my vacation, especially on the plane. When I see a landmark from the book, it's like I'm in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment