WRITING ROAD TRIP WITH MY BFF


Filling the well. We hear that expression a lot. Writing is a creative process and, like painting or sculpting or composing music or directing a movie, requires a lot of energy. We can often feel depleted and when that happens, there isn’t much left in the creative well on which to draw. We then suffer from a lack of inspiration, no motivation, and an uncooperative muse.

One of my best go-to remedies for replenishing the well is spending time with friends or fellow writers. Sometimes, when I’m lucky, I get to do both at the same time. I never fail to come away refreshed, my spirits lifted, and with exciting new ideas brewing.


This past weekend I went on a short road trip with my BFF Pamela Tracy. We were invited to speak at the Tucson RWA Chapter, the Saguaro Romance Writers. We drove down on Friday night and stayed with fellow Heartwarming author, Patricia Forsythe who is an incredibly gracious and generous hostess. We went to dinner than night with her and another Heartwarming author, Roz Denny Fox, as well as a dear, pre-published friend Laura Huntoon (missed you, LeAnne Banks). We had great food, stimulating conversation, and too many laughs to count.



The next day, Pamela and I were welcomed at the Saguaro Romance Writers meeting where we ate more good food and networked. The members asked wonderful questions, were engaged, seemed to enjoy our workshops, and, again, more laughs were had by all. On the drive home, Pamela and I chatted about our lives at the moment and then brainstormed new story ideas. I couldn’t have asked for a better two days.

So, tell me, what do you do when you’re feeling empty and need to replenish the creative well? I also enjoy taking the dog on long walks, especially now that the weather’s nice. But he isn’t much for conversation. I can barely get him off his favorite chair☺


Comments

  1. It sounds like so much fun! My friend Nan Reinardt and I sneak away a couple of times a year. It does indeed fill the writing well, lets our husbands off the conversational hook for a while--plus we eat all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what great brain-storming they were able to do in the car. We all had such a good time talking writing at dinner and Pam and Cathy gave a wonderful workshop at the meeting. I think to fill the well a person needs to go out and see new things, listen to people talk, or brainstorm with writer friends. Thanks again from Saguaro chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you never had a dull moment or lulls in the conversation. Writers always, always have so much to talk about. Sharing meals, a long car ride, brainstorming. Meeting with more of our Heartwarming authors. Wow. Sounds like the best days ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful weekend for everyone. I'm sure we'll get to enjoy the fruit of that weekend in upcoming stories. Laughter is the best fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful time you must have had! Getting together with writing buds is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our two presenters gave the chapter members a chance to fill the well, too! Cathy and Pamela each gave a heartfelt talk with insight into her writing process. And we all basked in the warmth of their friendship. It was one of those golden moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. What Liz Flaherty said! We love our little writing retreat trips, where we write and never stop talking. There's always lots of good food and good wine and the best fellowship ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a fun road trip and a wonderful meeting! I've never done a writers road trip or retreat, but I do meet some friends for plotting parties, and my friend and fellow Harlequin author Heatherly Bell and I get together for coffee and writing when we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee and writing is great. If we lived close, we'd do that :)

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry I had to miss it! I was really looking forward to seeing you guys. I guess I'll just have to come see y'all and get a personal replay, lol. And whenever I'm feeling drained, a weekend, a day, or even a long phone conversation with a writing friend can really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did miss you, LeAnne. Would love to see you anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment