Christmas on Film


by Kathleen Scheibling, Executive Editor, Harlequin 

I’m rather non-traditional during the holiday season. Oh, I like visiting with my family. And gatherings throughout the month with my friends. Of course, I can enjoy my Christmas turkey with the best of them (to be honest, my SIL’s cured salmon appetizer is what I’m jonesing for). And as Johanna knows, I’m all about the holiday cookies.


What I really love doing during the precious days off around the Christmas holiday is going out to the theatre and watching movies. We watch films in different ways now – streaming on our TVs and laptops, watching on our phones in 10-minute snips on the bus or in line at the grocery store. I still prefer the big screen, seeing a movie in a darkened room with other people. There you can have a shared experience. When there’s a tender moment, you can hear other people sniffling back their tears. Depending on the audience, you may hear someone yell, “yeah, take that!” when the villain of an action movie gets his. And there’s nothing better than people laughing together (there’s always someone with an odd snort that just makes you laugh all the harder.)


For the nights I may be staying in, there are two strict holiday film traditions that are pretty obvious. It’s a Wonderful Life is my classic go-to. I love Jimmy Stewart. I love that Bert and Ernie’s names for Sesame Street came from this film. I love the small moment where the most horrible thing that happens (in the alternate reality) is that Mary (the unfortunate spinster) is working late at the library (OH NO!) And I very much enjoy when Mary yells up to her mother “He’s making violent love to me, Mother!” Because that meant something very, very different at the time.


The other movie is the greatest rom com of all time. I’ll watch it anytime it’s on TV. I have it on DVD and Blu Ray. It’s When Harry Met Sally, duh. You may say that’s not a Christmas movie (No, Die Hard is NOT a Christmas movie – come get me.) But WHMS has the holidays running through it (the timeline covers twelve years and three months) so it totally counts. Because sometimes you know a great movie, like you know about a good melon. And if you don’t know what I’m talking about, you better see that movie.


 Happy holidays, no matter how you celebrate! What are your favourite Christmas movies?

Kathleen


Comments

  1. Kathleen, I hope you have a really nice and fun Christmas. I rarely go to movies in the theater, but sometimes buy them when my kids or grands visit. Otherwise I like most of the Hallmark Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently watched The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix and really enjoyed it. My go to movie is A Christmas Story. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just added Love Actually to my Netflix watchlist :) Happy holidays, enjoy your salmon. I'll be having seafood aplenty this holiday while in Seattle visiting my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Harry Met Sally! Yes! Yes! Yes! Oh God, Yes!!!! One of my favorite all time movies. And it totally counts as a holiday movie! I mean, it ends on New Year's Eve, so that seals the deal. I don't go to movie theaters very often (I live too far away from them) but next time I do, I'm going to be listening for the snorter! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love watching movies on the big screen, in the dark, completely immersed in what’s happening on screen. Our family favourite Christmas Eve tradition for years was watching the British classic, A Christmas Carol. It’s dated for sure, but Alastair Sim made the best Scrooge ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Die Hard is, of course, a Christmas movie. Bruce's wife's name is Holly! There's a heartwarming snowy romantic reunion! Run-D.M.C.'s Christmas in Hollis! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been loving Hallmark Christmas movies. My favorite last year was MISS CHRISTMAS and this year I loved CHRISTMAS JOY and A SHOE ADDICT'S CHRISTMAS, plus a couple others I can't remember the titles of.

    On a side note - I'd be the person with the odd snort in the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love Christmas movies! When Harry Met Sally definitely counts. And, I have to agree with Deirdre, so does Die Hard :) I try to watch a holiday movie every year that I haven't seen - this year it's going to be Four Christmases (not sure how I missed that one when it came out.) My all-time favorites are A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love When Harry Met Sally! Best scene ever when she finally tells him off. And Love, Actually. I saw an edited version but now have the full edition. Must watch this season. My aunt had one of those weird snorts. Always made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been a long time since I was in a theatre. I think it may be time. In the meantime, I want to see Christmas Chronicles for sure, and some of the others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Put me on the Alastair Sim watch list. I love each and every rendition of the A Christmas Carol, but his is my favorite. Merry Christmas, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, guess it's time I watched WHMS. In my own defense, I do love It's a Wonderful Life, as well as A Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the classic Christmas movies, but there are some lesser known ones too. There's one called I'll Be Home For Christmas with Hal Holbrook. There are at least 2 other films by the same name, so this one has to be distinguished by an actor. This film is set in WWII and I've loved since I first saw it. Unfortunately, it's never been released on DVD (sad, sad face here!). Three Days (I think it's called that) and The Christmas List, Christmas Down Under (a.k.a. The Christmas Visitor - Dee Wallace) also haven't been released. I'm a sucker for even a halfway decent Christmas film, so the list could continue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holiday is a favorite of mine. The first time I watched it was at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some good Christmas movies here -- some I haven't heard of! I definitely will look up the Hal Holbrook I'll be Home for Christmas. And I love the Alastair Sim A Christmas Carol! Merry Christmas, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Love Actually during the holidays! I'm for watching any of the above listed movies...while eating cookies and drinking hot cocoa :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment