Romance Is In the Air by Leigh Riker

I just finished line edits for my next book, The Cowboy’s Secret Baby (Heartwarming, #7 in my Kansas Cowboys series, July 2020!), so naturally romance is on my mind. And this close to Valentine’s Day, why not? In this story, Dallas Maguire and Elizabeth Barnes get together…well, not so fast, but guiding them toward their HEA was certainly fun.

Elizabeth first appeared as a minor character in Her Cowboy Sheriff, and Dallas showed up more recently in Twins Under the Tree. These two are an unlikely pair. More fun. Dallas, a rodeo star, is in Barren, Kansas, to recover from a serious bull riding injury. He can’t wait to get back to the circuit, and he sure isn’t ready for a wife and family. His neighbor Elizabeth, newly divorced and with three children to raise, is trying to put her life together again. Neither of them is interested in romance, but love is in the air. Isn’t it always?

Years ago, I first fell in love—with reading. I love this little story about a successful, nineteenth-century poet who received some fan mail from another, as yet unknown writer. He greatly admired her poetry, and they began a correspondence—love letters, really. But conflict soon entered the picture. Her stern father didn’t want her to have an actual relationship. Increasingly tempted, however, one day she dared to venture outside the confines of her little world, and the romance truly began. The two poets married, honeymooned in Italy then lived happily ever after. Yes, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning were that happy couple. “How do I love thee…” is one of my favorite poems. 

The Brownings certainly celebrated their love (sigh), probably with more poetry, but my  Valentine’s Day present to my husband one year was this Bear (that's his name). I like his red bow!


Flowers are a favorite gift of mine, and sometimes we even give them to each other. They brighten up the month of February when I’m tired of cold temperatures and sometimes gloomy days, and a nice bouquet or single rose makes him feel loved too. 



How do you enjoy Valentine’s Day? With chocolates, a night on the town, a romantic dinner…or would you rather sit by the fire and read a good romantic novel? 

That always sounds good to me. Happy reading, always, 

Comments

  1. I've never read the story of the Brownings, and I should. We usually go out to dinner. This year it's going to be a murder mystery dinner theatre with a group of friends. Looking forward to that! Good luck with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Your mystery dinner sounds perfect.

      Delete
  2. I remember getting a Valentine chocolate treat every year from my mother, who was always thoughtful of those traditions. Obviously it wasn’t about romance, but about love and friendship, like the cards we exchanged in school. As a college student, I did get something from a boyfriend...a pair of slippers once! LOL Nowadays my husband and I exchange a fave chocolate treat from a chocolate maker in our area and I still get my grown daughters something, as my own mother once did. Romance is lovely, but love....a whole other story. Your new release sounds lovely, Leigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing the line edits, Leigh. Your new book sounds great!
    Whether from my husband, children or friends, nothing says love to me quite as much as a heartfelt note. I save many of them so I can read the sweet words over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Elizabeth, what a nice way to get and receive love. And you can revisit those notes whenever you like. You should use that in a book! Thanks for the good wishes on my new book.

      Delete
  4. Valentine's Day is usually low key. Cards, flowers, chocolate, and a special homemade dinner. Can't wait to read about those Kansas cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Beth, cards, flowers, chocolate, a yummy dinner...sounds more than low key to me! I hope you like my new cowboy book. I had a lot of fun with it.

      Delete
  5. I love the story of the Brownings. Being a movie buff, I enjoyed the film as well but, sadly, it's never come out on DVD (the one with Jennifer Jones, though I don't think the one with Norma Shearer came out either). Anything that shows love for friend, family, lover, animal, the world seems good for Valentine's Day. Last year, a fellow writer went with me and we picked up trash for several hours - love for our community and love for the beautiful world in which we live. Best of luck with the new story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked and the one with Shearer was done for DVD. The films are based on a play, though I've never seen it offered.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out the Browning DVD. I've always thought their story was the most romantic thing ever. Good for you, Callie, for cleaning up and beautifying your community that day!

      Delete
  6. As a mom of twins, I definitely want to check out Twins Under the Tree. I love books involving unlikely couples. And I love the picture of the bear. My husband has to work on Valentine's Day so I'm looking forward to an evening of reading along with a rain check to have an evening out to dinner with my husband another night. Thanks for all the info about the Brownings, too! Happy (early) Valentine's Day. Looking forward now to two new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the story of the Brownings--such a strange story about her father and really keeping practically a prisoner! I wish I could recall the name of the book I read about them. It was wonderful. Meanwhile, let's keep some love in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you realize there is a 12 word phrase you can say to your crush... that will trigger intense feelings of love and impulsive appeal for you buried within his chest?

    Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, idolize and guard you with his entire heart...

    ====> 12 Words That Trigger A Man's Desire Instinct

    This impulse is so built-in to a man's genetics that it will make him try harder than before to take care of you.

    Matter of fact, triggering this dominant impulse is absolutely essential to getting the best ever relationship with your man that the second you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will soon find him expose his mind and soul for you in a way he never experienced before and he will perceive you as the only woman in the world who has ever truly understood him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment