THE OUTER BANKS: ROMANCE ON THE BEACH by Rula Sinara

The Outer Banks during a vacation years ago & the setting for Rula's Turtleback Beach series

Who here is a beach lover? Ever been to the Outer Banks? Do you live on one or are beaches only a vacation destination for you? I understand that some people wouldn’t be able to put up with sand getting everywhere all the time, but I suppose it’s a matter of love. I mean, dog lovers don’t mind dog hair everywhere all the time. Right? Gotcha!

I’m determined to win over sand haters or those who might have gone to one, crowded, littered beach in their life and decided it wasn’t for them. Not all beaches are created equal. There are many gorgeous, serene beaches out there, with soft sand, shells and sea glass. There’s something about the sound of sea gulls and the crash-fizzle of waves kissing the shore that clears the mind and cleanses the soul. It’s meditative and liberating. 

The Outer Banks taken on vacation & the setting for Rula's Turtleback Beach series

I began my life in California, a place famous for its surf, but moved when I was too young to remember it. I still believe, however, that the sound of the ocean was somehow imprinted on my soul. I also spent a few years living right on a beach overlooking the Mediterranean ocean and used to drive down to Galveston when I lived in Houston, just so I could touch sand again and smell the salty air. Some of the most stunning beaches and crystal waters I’ve snorkeled in were those of the US Virgin Islands. Talk about post card worthy coves. But one of the easiest beaches for me to get to for a vacation, now that I Iive in the mid-Atlantic region, is the Outer Banks of North Carolina. 

Dunes along the Outer Banks taken on a hike & the setting of Rula's Turtleback Beach series

The first time I visited the Outer Banks was when my kids were very young and now, with my oldest two in college, they still go there with friends during vacations. I love it there, though I’ll admit, I never stay in the more populated northern end of the 200 mi long barrier reef. I prefer Hatteras Island, which lies further south with pristine beaches to one side, where protected sea turtle nesting grounds can be found, and wetlands bursting with wildlife on the sound side. This is where the famous Nicolas Sparks movie, Nights in Rodanthe, was set and the entire reef is dotted with famous lighthouses and historical sites worth visiting. 

The Outer Banks dunes taken on vacation & the setting of Rula's Turtleback Beach series

So years ago, while I was still writing my 'From Kenya, With Love' series set in Africa’s Serengeti, I knew that someday I wanted to write about love and families and friends in a small beach town along the Outer Banks. From elephants in Africa, to sea turtles in America, my books always include wildlife and endearing dogs and kittens also play a big role in this new series. And as always, my heart is also in creating communities and characters that reflect the multiracial, multicultural and beautifully diverse individuals that make the world we live in so rich, wonderful and full of love.  

With my 6 book 'From Kenya, With Love' series all wrapped up, this past summer I introduced readers to the fictional town of Turtleback Beach, set along Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks.

A word of warning…this series involves soft sandy beaches, loveable dogs (people in this town really love their dogs), a quaint and picturesque seaside town full of residents who consider each other family, a bit of suspense and danger and, of course, falling in love. And I must say, there’s just something incredibly romantic about a beach setting. I hope I can get anyone who doesn’t already like beaches (or dogs) to fall in love with Turtleback Beach, the Outer Banks and the stories and the diverse cast of characters I’ve come to know…like family. 

The first book of the series, Almost a Bride, released July 2019 and book 2, Caught by the Sheriff, is out now! And yes, the third book is in the works as we speak. I hope you enjoy them! And remember, if you head to the beach this spring or summer, take along a romance book and let the sights and sounds surrounding you help bring the story you’re reading to life…and let the romance sweep you away. 

I'd love to hear about your favorite beach or beach read!

Almost a Bride
Book 1 Turtleback Beach
Harlequin Heartwarming
June 2019

Can he love her…

And keep her safe?

No one in Turtleback Beach knows that veterinarian Grayson Zale is in the witness protection program—not even the woman who left him at the altar. When a joint inheritance brings Mandi Rivers back to their small seaside town, Gray can’t deny that their connection is as strong as ever. But his mysterious past remains between them; can he reveal the truth without endangering Mandi—and their future?

AMAZON
Caught by the Sheriff
Book 2 Turtleback Beach
Harlequin Heartwarming
March 2020

If she follows her heart…

Will he follow the law?

Turtleback Beach, North Carolina, would be paradise—if Faye Donovan wasn’t on the run. With her sister’s life in danger and her small niece to protect, Faye tries to avoid handsome town sheriff Carlos Ryker. But Carlos offers her a refuge, and Faye feels she’s finally found home. And yet he’s still the sheriff. Can she trust him with the truth…even if it means risking everything?




Happy Book Birthday to my fellow March Heartwarming release sisters Carol Ross, Linda Warren & Patricia Forsythe! 

And if you're in the U.S. and live in a Super Tuesday state don't forget to GO VOTE!

Rula


Comments

  1. I’ve been to part of the Outer Banks and they are unique. The perfect setting for this series and I look forward to “Caught by the Sheriff”! Congratulations Rula!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family went to the Outer Banks for vacation last September and we loved it. We went to Kitty Hawk and visited lighthouses. It was so much fun. I loved Almost a Bride, and I'm so looking forward to Carlos' story! Congratulations, Rula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya, and thank you for reading the series!! The Outer Banks is a great place for kids because it's educational, too. We took our kids to The Lost Colony outdoor play in Manteo once and they've been to the lighthouses, the majestic sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge, the Wright brother's museum and so much more. It's such a great place to go. I especially love the more southern beaches.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to the outer banks but have spent many days on the gulf coast in Alabama and Florida. There is something romantic, serene and exciting about being at the beach. I'll be looking for your books in Turtleback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those Florida beaches are famous! :) I have relatives down there but haven't been myself. Maybe you'll get to visit the Outer Banks someday :)!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I like beaches with character, like this one. Loved the first book, and I'll look forward to reading Caught by the Sheriff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth! I like how you put that...beaches with character. Exactly!

      Delete
  5. Love the Outer Banks--and the coastal islands of SC and Georgia. When I lived in Asheville, I'd yearn for the ocean and head east. Right now in WI's winter, I could use some surf and sand. Congratulations on your new series. All the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, I know what you mean. I crave the beach desperately and don't get to go as often as I'd like. Stay warm for now and hopefully you'll get to head east for some sun and sand this summer ;).

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Rula, on your new book! It looks like such a great series, I don't know how I missed the first book. Adding them to my Kindle now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Topsail Island a few times and loved it, but am not sure it's part of the Outer Banks. Either way, anywhere on the NC shore is a great place to set a series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! I just looked it up and it's not part of it (it's south of it), but its beaches/beach houses look very much like the Outer Banks. It's beautiful there!

      Delete
  8. Love your pictures, Rula, and congratulations on the new release!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment