Sit Down Saturday with Eleanor Jones


      Hi. I’m Eleanor.
      I feel very privileged to be able to write romance for Heartwarming and I’m so thrilled to be answering questions today on my new book.

       I believe that everyone wants to be in love, no matter how cynical about it they may pretend to be. Everyone wants to have that certain someone who knows you better than yourself and is always there for you, no matter what.
       I do hope you enjoy reading this story as much as I have enjoyed writing it 

Today we are celebrating the release of ‘The Country Vet’ by Eleanor Jones.

So, Eleanor, where did you get the idea for this novel?
I wanted to set my story in the countryside I love and even though we’re in 2014, here, amongst the farming community in the Cumbrian Lake District, there is still a lack of confidence in female vets, especially where large animals are involved.

I decided to tell the story of a gutsy young woman who is focused on trying to prove herself to be a competent vet with all animals and win the confidence and respect of the local community. Along the way of course she can’t help but fall in love and with horses in particular figuring so largely in my life of course the hero just had to be a horseman. Jake fits the bill perfectly.

In looking at the cover, if you could add a caption or captions, what would they say?


 ‘Through animals comes understanding.’

How long did it take you to write?
About three months.

What is your favourite scene?
I love some of the scenes with Robbie, Jake’s six year old son. He questions the tragic loss of his grandmother and twin sister and comes to a kind of understanding in a poignant scene with Cass. Of course I also love the scene with Jake and Cass near the end.

If you could pick fictional characters to play the hero and heroine, who would they be?
I think Hugh Jackman, as he was in the film Australia, would make a perfect Jake. I see Cass as very much like Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. I know she’s not fictional but she is beautiful, gracious and slightly built, just like Cass.

Tell us one thing you learned during research?
I didn’t really need to do much research as the whole story is so much a part of my everyday life.

What music would match the mood of this novel?
Someone Like You by Adele springs to mind.

This is your third book. Exactly what does this mean to you?
I’ve been writing teenage mysteries for years but having the chance to write romance is a dream come true.

What do you plan to work on next?
I’m already half way through a follow up to The Country Vet and I hope to do at least a couple more in the series.

What are you reading for pleasure right now?
 I’m trying to catch up with books by other Heartwarming authors.
     

Comments

  1. Eleanor, I love your book cover. I grew up reading and loving horse stories. And I also think everyone is looking for love, or needs someone to love. That's why I've always found it so hard to hear the negative comments some people make about our genre. My stock answer is generally, gee I think love makes the world go 'round, and our books show all of the positive things love brings into a person's life. Looking forward to reading your story.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I love your "Hi, I'm Eleanor." I am soooo looking forward to reading your book. My friends and I used to play, "What ten books would you take with your to a desert island." I always had a James Herriot along. I love animal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor, I love the premise of this story and I love that it's "taken" from your life. I will confess at one point in my childhood I wanted to be a vet--until I realized that animals sometimes die. And of course there's the little problem of my being terrified of horses... But I do love animals (smaller ones without saddles) and I'm excited to read your book

      Delete
  4. Eleanor - I apologize for being ignorant, but wasn't sure where the Cumbrian Lake District is, so I googled it. What a beautiful area! No wonder you're inspired to write about the setting where you grew up. I think people who scoff at romance novels are uncomfortable expressing their feelings in that area and are suspicious of people who can do it easily. Must be hard to have to keep all that emotion under wraps. I love your cover, too. You can see the connection between the heroine and the horse. But where's Hugh Jackman?! Congratulations on the release and wishes for big success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hugh Jackman! Sounds like a perfect hero to me. Congrats on your Heartwarming debut - so excited for you. Let's hope this is one of many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all of you for your lovely comments. You are all so brilliant and helpful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment