In My Dreams


IN MY DREAMS, my next Heartwarming, will be released on my 70th birthday, January 1, 2015.  Geez!  70.  My heart is seventeen, so it's always startling for me to look in the mirror and see the wrinkles and the hair that looks like a cotton ball in a snit.

Can you tell I've been thinking about age?  In an effort to make sure I remain well to take care of Ron, I recently had a thorough physical examination. Last one was in 1993.  (I'm so ashamed!)  Believe it or not, I'm in almost perfect condition.  Bone density is great, cholesterol is great, all lady-parts-tests negative. Vitamin D was low, but that's the sunshine vitamin, and I live in Oregon, so go figure.  But I've been loaded up on mega doses and I've gone from 9 (!) to 50 in three months.  (Not sure what the desirable figure is, but the doctor seemed happy.)

I was paging through my ELLE magazine today (good source of character faces) and was plotting my fall wardrobe.  (In reality, it's a couple of pairs of jeans and a few sweatshirts, and when my office is really cold, an Eddie Bauer merino wool turtleneck that's very cozy, but I'm dreaming, here.)  I imagine you don't want to hear about fall when it's finally summer, but I hate my summer clothes because those light fabrics show all my rolls.  (I keep thinking I can tone them up and the ripples would look like washboard abs, but they're in the wrong place.) Sturdier winter fabrics hide everything.  You can wear tights and a big sweater and look twenty pounds thinner.

Anyway, I want to wear skinny jeans and boots, dresses and tights, big jewelry and funky hair.  But I don't have anything skinny to put in the jeans, I don't have a waist so a dress is probably out, and I think my hair has aged, too.  It used to be wavy and controllable, but now it does what it wants, and both sides never want the same thing.  It's probably a good thing I'm not going to San Antonio.  One look at me, and you'd all turn from writing romance to horror.

I am young enough at heart to lust after Erik Dane, Captain Tom Chandler in the new THE LAST SHIP, and, formerly, Dr. McSteamy, from Gray's Anatomy,  and I do love Nathan Fillion of CASTLE.  And, more age-appropriately, Tom Selleck, Sean Connery, and Robert Wagner still make me swoon.  (It's all right with Ron because he has a thing for Meg Ryan.)

"Hanging out" with all of you gives me a wider-ranging perspective of womanhood, so thank you for that. It's nice to know that young or older, we like the same things, worry about the same things, and whatever we differ on broadens our horizons of tolerance and acceptance.  I think Heartwarming is going to keep my heart young, and I may still try to tone those rolls.  Jen, are you available as a personal trainer?


Comments

  1. Muriel, You made me laugh...and cry. Because I'm older than you and some days I want to rip out every mirror in my house. I keep saying if I wasn't chicken I'd look into a Life Style Lift. They have ads all over here for those at one of our cosmetology centers. The problem is I think they only work on the face, and I see need for a whole-body-lift. But I never in my life have been skinny. But dreams are good. And when we have young minds and young friends, we can live vicariously through them and our characters. Wishing you a fabulous day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love one of those Lifestyle Lifts, too! Those women in the ad all look so refreshed! But, you're right. There's still the body. I've always enjoyed every brownie that came my way, so can't whine now. I guess we have to remember that it's all about the love we've given and received rather than how we look. And you've certainly done that. Wish you a great day, too.

      Delete
  2. Now THAT'S the way to celebrate your birthday, Muriel! Congratulations on the upcoming release. :)

    I'm right there with you on the skinny jeans, LOL. We should start a club. I'm also in about Erik Dane and Nathan ...I grew up on reruns of It Takes a Thief and Hart to Hart was must see TV in my house, so totally agree on RJ . Great post. And yes, you're only as young as your heart feels. :) We'll miss you in San Antonio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, you're the only one I know besides me who remembers It Takes a Thief. That was so good. The Tubby Jeans Club is officially open for membership. I know you'll all have a wonderful time at RWA. Can't wait to hear all about it. Happy weekend.

      Delete
  3. Muriel, the most important point you made is that we are only as old (or young!) as we are in our hearts. If you are having another birthday, enjoy and what better way to celebrate than with a release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. That was a happy confluence of events. Have a great day and a fun weekend.

      Delete
  4. Oh Muriel! You make me giggle every time you post. I wish you were coming to San Antonio, crazy mind-of-its-own hair and all ;) Book and birthday months are awesome, btw. My first came out in my birthday month. We're both January girls!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, Capricorns! I think that suggets that we're logical and steady, but I must have had a crazy moon passing through, or something. Thanks, Amy. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Muriel! I absolutely adore you:) I'll make a deal with you-I'll share some of my 'weight loss' tips if you share some of your 'writing tips' lol. Seriously though, I wouldn't change a thing-you are lovely. And I have to tell you-skinny jeans only look good on six foot tall, twelve year olds. Anyone with hips, butts, or things cannot get away with wearing them and that means most of us:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was imagining you wearing them all the time. Okay, I feel better. Yes - do send weight loss tips and you're welcome to whatever writing skills I still hold. Happy Weekend, Jen!

      Delete
  7. Muriel, Yay! We share a birthday! I'm a New Year's baby, too! Congratulations on your birthday book! Your post is hilarious. And you're absolutely right about age. It's just a number--specially when you enjoy good health like you do (congrats on that, too by the way). My grandma is going to be 100 in a few weeks. I will miss her 100th birthday party while I'm at RWA (I'll make it up to her, she really doesn't like parties anyway). She loves to laugh and has always eked every bit of joy out of her life. She looks forward to every day with this enviably positive attitude, and is kind to everyone she meets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carol. Well, now I'd like to meet you and your grandmother! How cool that we share the same birthday. Everybody else has heard this, but since you're kind of new I can tell you that my father had me convinced that the Times Square celebration was in my honor until I was about eight. (slow child - took a while to realize those people didn't know me - but in my little princess brain, all that adulation seemed right) Happy Weekend! We must remember to toast each other come January - and Amy, too.

      Delete
    2. Muriel, Hilarious! I love your father! My mom loves to tell the story of how she delivered me all by herself during the Rose Bowl while my dad and the doctor watched the game in the waiting room LOL. (Probably true, I'm the youngest of five.) My dislike of football continued into my childhood where I always felt like those stupid bowl games were more important than my special day. Of course I'm over that now and enjoy sharing my birthday with a relaxing holiday. I will definitely be toasting you--I don't personally know very many people who share our day!

      Delete
    3. Not to mention all those Christmas gifts that said, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday! Used to bum me out as a child, but now I appreciate the doubled wish.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on the 17-year-old heart and I also remember It Takes A Thief (the first time around--sigh). I spent last weekend watching a whole day's worth of Tom Selleck's Jesse Stone movies and decided everything he did in the first six decades of his life was just practice. He's wonderful!

    Can't wait for IN MY DREAMS. Nice title!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Liz. I like the title, too. Sometimes I get frustrated because I have yet to have a working title stick, but then what editorial comes up with is so good, it's hard to feel badly. It's scary to me that all my youthful heart throbs are getting older, but there is comfort in the fact that they seem to do it so well, accept it so gracefully. Maybe there's hope for us! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muriel, you're an inspiration - talented, wit, and humor. Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Mel. Thank you. I'm trying hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Muriel, you know how to put a small on my face! I was cracking up when I was reading this, and had to read it aloud to my parents who appreciate your sense of humor as much as I do. Thanks for the laugh tonight! It came at the perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Syndi! Happy to help. Know this is a hard time for you, but hang in there. Better days ahead. And things could be worse. You could have my hair! Have a good week.

      Delete
  13. Muriel you are an inspiration. Keep on doing what you're doing and stay young at heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muriel, you're the funniest, most adorable seventeen year old I know :). Talk about the perfect birthday too! And what a great title ;).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment