ITS A FUNNY OLD WORLD

This morning it occurred to me -when I watched all the little children trooping into the riding centre wearing body protectors that were half as big as themselves- just how crazy this world of ours has become and how much it has changed. We live by so many rules and regulations nowadays that health and safety has become our middle name and it has made everyone so safety conscious that no one dare take a risk anymore.

If we take out novice riders here they all have to be led from the ground -after we've done a risk assessment of course- and if a horse twitches an ear we get sued. Litigation it seems is very much the sad way of this modern world. Follow the paper trail they tell us, write everything down, record every word you speak, be careful, be careful, be careful. You can't do that and you can't do this, in fact it sometimes feels as if you can't do anything at all anymore. We seem in fact to have rules for everything. 

 And then suddenly I saw a swallow and I realised that things haven't really changed all that much at all Put it like this. Anyone can have a baby with no need even for a licence, which kind of makes a mockery of everything really when you think how precious they are. And you don't even have to go on a training course! So obviously Mother Nature hasn't changed because we still rely on her to bring out all our natural instincts. And Spring flowers still grow, again and again and again, year after year, gloriously abundant and oh so beautiful. And farmers sow and reap, just as they've always done. And yes, the the swallows have returned from Africa, yet again, flying straight into last years nests to begin the breeding process all over again. It's a wonderful sight and yet another miracle performed by Mother Nature. 

 Does anyone have any other miracles performed by Mother Nature that move the soul. I'd love to hear what you think. So just maybe, at its heart, this funny old world of ours hasn't changed so much after all. Animals react the same and birds and bees and flowers. It's just we humans who've gone a little crazy.

Comments

  1. Eleanor - what an astute observation. I sometimes drive myself crazy, worrying about how different this world is from the one in which I grew up. Then I hear about young people doing brave, selfless, generous things, and I realize that, while we now have rules for everything, the heart of man, generally ungovernable, is capable of good choices and decisions on his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Muriel. I think you're right. Human beings (or the majority of them) are basically good hearted. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  2. I hope that our monsoon season, due they tell us in about 5 days, follows the belief that the rains will come every year. I've always thought that part of nature that we can count on, those ruled by the ebb and flow of the tides, will keep on keeping on. I'm not so confident about the odd happenings springing from the minds of humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother always used to say that there is nothing different it's just that we have the capacity to hear about it more. I am not so sure

      Delete

  3. It's easy to get frustrated, but.... then you see a swallow. That was your best line :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracy. Let's hope we can keep on seeing swallows

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm grateful when I see my perennials come up in the spring! I live in a inhospitable climate- very long winter- so I'm never sure, but eternally grateful, when that miracle happens every year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted seeds we purchased when we toured Monticello last year. I think it's a miracle to see my tomato plants and know they are part of Jefferson's legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there is one of nature's miracles. Thank you

      Delete
  7. I'm with Karen about the perennials. After a long, hard winter, you have hope that they're going to bloom. And then when they do, it's amazing. Spring, to me, is all about hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like life I guess Syndi.I'm sure that your perennials will bloom as always. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment