I’ve developed a new habit this year: every time I make a deadline, I bake. Perhaps because it’s a way to ease my guilt for leaving my family to fend for themselves while I was immersed in deadline mode. Or perhaps because baking gives my brain a chance to unwind. I’ve loved to bake since I was a child. My mom likes to say: my father hasn’t met a dessert he didn’t like, so it was always fun to bake for my dad. Add in 3 older brothers who ate whatever, whenever and I had the perfect taste testers for all my baking hits and misses. Now my husband and daughters are enjoying the products of my baking sprees.
Two weeks ago, as I crossed off another deadline on the calendar, I added an extra dance because it’s fall. And fall means all things pumpkin. Ironically, I don’t like pumpkin pie (I think it might be a texture thing). However, I adore anything pumpkin flavored from: pumpkin spiced lattes to pumpkin scones to pumpkin ice cream and yes, even pumpkin beer. Recently I’ve been buying out the grocery store’s stock of Dannon’s Greek Yogurt Limited Edition Pumpkin flavor. (Yes, it’s really that good.)
In honor of fall, my pumpkin cravings and deadline celebration, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite pumpkin recipes in case any one feels the need to bake. (Or like me, just can’t say no to pumpkin flavored foods.)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake – Our family loves cheesecake and it’s one of my favorite desserts to make. I have a favorite cheesecake recipe, White Chocolate Raspberry that I make during Christmas, but this one comes in a very close second. You can find the recipe here.
- Rum Glazed Pumpkin Cake – Deliciously spiced – I like this slant on the rum cake. Click here for the recipe.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte cupcakes – this recipe combines two wonderful things: cupcakes and pumpkin spiced lattes – you cannot go wrong. Click here for the recipe.
- Pumpkin Streusel Muffins – in the interest of time I’ve been known to make these from a box 😊 but I’ve made homemade too. Click here for recipe.
On My To-Make List this fall:
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Butter - We make potato and cheese gnocchi all the time – that’s our Italian roots, but this year I want to branch out. I’m not sure my teenagers will approve, but it’ll mean more for me.
- Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo - Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo is a staple in our house with my girls. I’m not sure they’ll buy into this one, but I’m still making it. 😊
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Avocado Cream - because next to pumpkin, I can’t seem to resist avocado.
If you have a favorite pumpkin recipe, please share. I love adding new recipes to our kitchen table.
As luck would have it, my next book deadline is December 1st and just in time for Christmas baking. Oh the options for December are endless. Except I already feel the sugar rush coming on … I either need to find a new way to recharge after a deadline or maybe just add a few more minutes on the treadmill. After all, there’s too much baking left to be done.
Cari Lynn Webb
THE CHARM OFFENSIVE by Cari Lynn Webb is available now!
Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/2sqFG0j
Visit me on Facebook and Twitter.