Time of My Life by M. K. Stelmack


Earlier this month I celebrated my big 5-0 by attending the funeral of a 42-year-old father and husband who died after a sudden, ten-day illness. I sat  in the jam-packed auditorium of his church, sharing a box of tissues with my son beside me and with the burly guy in a Harley-Davidson jacket seated in front of me. Bewilderment, shock and simple, pure grief pierced the singing of his favorite songs and caught in our laughter at his brother's candid and intentionally hilarious eulogy that both stung and warmed our battered hearts.

So why do I call his funeral on my birthday a celebration? For one, that is the official name of the funeral--a celebration of life--so, nothing amiss there. But let's be honest: there is nothing like celebrating the passing of a healthy man eight years your junior on your birthday to wake you to how good life is.

I was blessed.


Gone are my silly worries about the gray squiggling into my hair, and how I can't shed ten pounds. Even the big ones like mortgage payments and medication costs have shrunk to their deserving size.

Instead, I choose to see that I was given fifty years to hike in the backcountry of the Rockies, to get a degree, to walk the Royal Mile in Edinborough, to build a family, to love a dog, to have my heart broken, to break a heart, to hurt and be hurt, to dye my hair blond, to cry when my son was given his diagnosis and to cry when he took first place in a speech competition, to still quote to my seventeen-year-old daughter the funny lines she said when she was three, to weatherproof my house, to laugh until I cry, to grow a flower garden, to paint rooms different colors, and always, always since I learned how to print, to tell stories.

A week from now--many of you may already have received it in the mail--my debut Heartwarming novel will be released. 

Two more are scheduled for release in June and October. These are the stories of my heart, fifty years in the making. May they give you light and laughter and maybe a few tears, like life itself.

And may you each and every day until you no longer draw breath, like the song played at the funeral said, have the time of your life.









Okay, I need to add a little more sweetness to that bittersweet song. 

So here's some exciting news. The other February Heartwarmers The other February Heartwarmers and I have come up with fantastic prize packages--yes, plural, as in FOUR, the entry for which will be showing up on our FB handles next week (make sure you like our pages to get it in your feed) and I'll lay out the full deal on Sit-down Saturday on February 3rd. In the meanwhile, here's a glimpse at all of our stories together.






To receive word the second our February contest unrolls, come and LIKE my page
M. K. Stelmack on FaceBook  

Or, if you'd like to know a little more about me,
Come visit  my Web Home open 24/7!

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday, M.K. and you will enjoy the 50s! You are so right about being grateful for and revelling in the events of our everyday lives. Congratulations on your release and to your release ‘mates’. A lot of good reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. Yes, I look forward to getting older and bolder.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, M.K. Happy birthday and congrats on the heartwarming release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you celebrated your birthday later in the week. Life is a pattern of births, living, dying. All are celebrations in their own way. You've done some really great things in your 50 years. And I read your book--it's easy to see your heart poured into a packed story. Looking forward to book 2 in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to celebrate my birthday all year long, Roz! Yes, I did pour my heart to the people in my debut story. Thanks for reading and caring!

      Delete
  4. Great message, to put everything into perspective and use the time we're given. Can't wait to read your story next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful and inspiring message! Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on your Heartwarming releases!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leanne. I'm working at school this week, so am inspired by your energy levels. :)

      Delete
  6. It was a life-changing event for me, Beth. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post. Thank you, and I wish you so many more blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moira, I just love this post and your outlook (the mention of our upcoming release month is just a side bonus!) Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your debut release--wonderful exciting time. And thanks for the post and the song. I'm going to a memorial service tonight for my daughter's father-in-law, and all these issues were coming up for me, as my birthday is tomorrow. We are blessed to keep on getting chances to do and be and express all we can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a wonderful post, M.K. Thank you for reminding us that death doesn't check I.D. I'm sorry for you loss. Congratulations on your debut. It's certainly an exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•
    *¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*•♪ღ♪¸.•
    ♪ღ♪HAPPY BIRTHDAY♪ღ♪
    *•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•
    *¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪iღ♪•«Happy Happy Birthday,Happy Birthday, M.K.!

    And I'm so excited about your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean. I’m turning the big 5-0 this year too, and I feel grateful I’ve lived this long. I’ve loved and am loved, and that’s a blessing in itself since some never get to experience the power of love in their lives.

    Congratulations on your debut Heartwarming book!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment