Sit Down Saturday with M. K. Stelmack

Hello, everyone!




Time to tell you all about my debut Heartwarming novel, A Roof Over Their Heads.









She can't have the man she loves...if it means losing her child.


Alexi Docker's a widow trying to adopt the child she and her husband had taken in. Except her new rental home turns out to be a disaster reno...and she, now single, has to prove she can give the boy everything he needs. That includes a roof over his head, four walls and running water! If not for the absentee landlady's cranky recluse of a brother, she wouldn't have been able to cope. But now Alexi has to choose between a man she's growing to love and the boy she needs to adopt...because Seth Greene has a past that could ruin the adoption process.


But before I go any further with the tale of Seth and Alexi, let me tell you about who the other Fab Feb authors are. Many of you who receive Heartwarming stories in your mail already know, but for all others. Here we are:




 And since we're on the topic of the February authors, we are giving away FOUR 'Warm-up in Winter' packages. That means FOUR winners will be announced after the end of the month. Just click on the link below and it'll open a quick and easy form that'll have you entered in in the time it takes for my hero to staple a shingle.


Our 'Warm Up in Winter' Giveaway Entry


Here's a glimpse at what I'm offering. (You'll understand the Tim Hortons goodies when you see how often the restaurant shows up in my story.)



And here is what all of us are offering:




Okay, now back to my story, A Roof Over Their Heads...

What makes this story special?


A whole bunch of things! First, it's my first with Heartwarming novel. And it's set in Alberta, Canada. I had great fun injecting little Canadianisms throughout, including the ubiquitous Tim Hortons. But I held back on the 'eh?s'. I add that tag a lot in my daily conversation but on the page, it might come off as forced.



Where did you get the idea for the story?


I have no idea where. But for years I carried around this image of a roofer looking from his lofty vantage point onto a house where a woman was moving into with her crew of kids. That image was left on the cutting floor in the making of this novel but I tried to keep his reluctant yet compulsive interest in who this woman was alive in the story.


Who is your favorite character?


I am fond of Matt. He's a great kid with a hard-luck past. I've also got a soft spot for Marlene. Her gruff exterior hides a heart of gold. Most people who've read the story can't get over these two secondary characters and I don't blame them. Oh, and Mel. He's a real sweetheart. Mel, Marlene and Matt. Say that five times fast!


Do you have an excerpt for us today?


I most certainly do! Alexi Docker finds herself forced to appeal to her landlady's brother to get her wrecked rental into shape before the case worker overseeing her adoption of Matt arrives. Except Seth Greene really, really doesn't want to help. 


Alexi touched Seth's arm and it immediately tense. She didn't remove her hand. "Seth. I hate, hate asking for charity. Maybe even more than you hate giving it. I have no one else."

Her hand was suddenly off his arm and in his hand. Her finger held by his in a tight, full grip. This was nothing like his handshake. This was the hold of a man who knew her pain and wanted to bring her through it. "I'll do it," he said, his voice raw. "I'll help. Just--just don't beg me. I don't want you thinking that I'm anybody other than a guy with a hammer."


What a  strange thing to say. He was more than that. Anybody could see that. She gave him her biggest smile. He cleared his throat. "Besides which, Matt's a good kid. You don't have anything to give me, but Matt--well, you're the only one who can give him what he needs."


For a solid year, she'd had to prove that to teachers, caseworkers, neighbors, the police. And on the worst nights, she'd lain curled on her side of the bed, knees to chin, with only the light from the phone, wondering if maybe she was wrong. To hear it now from a man who hardly spoke and when he did, it wasn't ever complimentary, well...she bit her lip.


"Thanks," she whispered. 


He nodded, released her hand and crossed to the stairs. "Hey," he called to Matt, "let me show you how to make a knot that lasts."



A Roof Over Their Heads is available here:

Amazon

eHarlequin


Also, come by and find out more about me and my writing on my M. K. Stelmack website

Or like, comment or share me at  M. K. Stelmack Facebook


Don't forget about  Heartwarming on Facebook


Happy Reading!!







Comments

  1. Nice cover! He looks like Roger Federer. And what perfect conflict in your story. Congratulations, M.K., on your first HW release. May you have many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the feedback has been that it really came down to the last page to resolve the conflict.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your new release! I love the premise of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I love stories where the hero/heroine seem hooped no matter what they do.

      Delete
  3. This sounds so good! I've downloaded the set and am looking forward to reading all the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the giveaway looks amazing. Where do people enter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So your characters hang out at Tim's, eh? Double doubles? Can you tell I'm a Canadian neighbour? Out and about again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Timmies ties Canadians together more than the anthem these days!

      Delete
  6. Nice cover. Congratulations on your debut Heartwarming novel! It sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome cover. You have a guy who looks like he has a sense of humor :) Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mega congrats to all of you! Great giveaway and those covers are sure to warm up everyone's February ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your debut novel! We are so excited for you to join our Heartwarming family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to my fellow Canuck, M.K., on your debut release, which has a wonderfully sexy hero on the cover and the story sounds very enticing too! Looking forward to the read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment