The strawberries are beautiful right now!
Yes, it’s strawberry season in Florida. Spring comes early here and I have to say, this year, the berries are juicy and tasty. Every night I treat myself to a bowl of cut-up berries, whipped cream and granola sprinkled on top. What a great way to usher in spring!
When I was a child, I remember going to the local strawberry patch and picking the fruit myself. We’d come home with buckets full, stained lips and fingertips, (because you can't not eat and pick!) and the lasting memories of spending a fun day out in the sun. These days I’m working and can’t get to the local farms, but I can certainly enjoy the ripe berries when I purchase them from the store.
To celebrate strawberry season I thought I’d share few recipes to get you in the mood for spring.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (just from about 4 small limes)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons honey (agave nectar or maple syrup if vegan)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ginger
pinch of salt, to taste
2 bunches fresh spinach- chopped, washed, dried
1 pint strawberries, halved
- Prep 20 m
- Ready In 40 m
- To make dressing: Add lime juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, ginger and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Whisk together until well combined, about 20-30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach and strawberries. Drizzle with dressing, toss lightly and serve.
Strawberry Angel Food Cake
1 10 inch angel food cake
2 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
1 18 oz jar strawberry glaze
- Prep 15 m
- Ready In 15 m
- Crumble the cake into a 9x13 inch dish.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Mash the cake down with your hands and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- In a bowl, combine strawberries and glaze until strawberries are evenly coated. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill until serving.
Tara Randel is an award-winning, USA Today bestselling author. Family values, a bit of mystery and of course, love and romance, are her favorite themes, because she believes love is the greatest gift of all. Look for her next Harlequin Heartwarming romance, Trusting Her Heart, coming August 2019. Visit Tara at www.tararandel.com. Like her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TaraRandelBooks. Sign up for Tara’s Newsletter and receive a link to download a free digital book.