Good News Day


Recently I decided that on my Facebook profile, every Tuesday is going to be Good News Day. It even kind of, rhymes. Tues. News. And it makes a cute hashtag.  #TuesdayGoodNewsDay. 

Why? Because there is so much bad news out there these days and it can get so upsetting. Even though I do believe that it's important to keep up with enough news to know what's going in our country and the world, reading bad news day after day feels so suffocating. Plus, it strikes me that there is a lot of great stuff happening in the world that just doesn't get reported. So I decided that every Tuesday, I'm going to go looking for it. 



 I'm only on Week 2 of my good news posts, but I love it already. It reminds me that there are so many good people in the world. 

However, what I've discovered is that it's not easy to find good news! There is the Good News Network and some cute sites like Upworthy and PopSugar. And the New York Times does a column of good news about once a week. But you really do have to go looking for it, and I think that's unfortunate. It's inspiring to read about people who are making a difference or helping others. If more of these types of stories were published, it might inspire other people to do something positive too.

You are more than welcome to join me in sharing good news. Maybe we can start a trend and transform Tuesdays into something wonderful. It could be a chance to spread the word about the good that people do and the ways we come together to make positive change. 

If that's not heartwarming, I don't know what is! 

Do you enjoy reading good news? Where do you go to find it? 

Comments

  1. My good news is that it's not raining, that my next book just passed its first round of edits, and that (in the spirit of making lemonade...) this season of way too much rain has made everything luxuriantly green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great news! And yes, I think it's important to find the good, (or the green!) But I hope your area dries out soon!

      Delete
  2. A year or two ago I introduced Good News reports where I work. I always bring in something, but then other people have started adding to it. Sometimes it's something from the Internet, and sometimes it's something good someone has done in town, or something good a person has experienced. I'm hoping and believe it tunes our awareness to look for the good things. I'm also aware that something we do could become someone else's good news for their day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! It's so neat that other people are joining in too. I think we do have to practice looking for the good things, it is so easy to get bogged down in what isn't going well. When I put my son to bed at night, we always list the good things that happened that day. It helps him go to sleep. And that's a powerful idea, that something we do could be someone's good news... inspiring!

      Delete
  3. I love this! Recently the local paper had an article about a food truck someone local used to feed homeless people being broken into. As sad as that is, I also thought it's a shame we only heard about his good work because of a crime. I'm all for #TuesdayGoodNewsDay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true? We hear often about the good stuff when some tragedy or crime occurs. I'm glad you like the idea of good news day, it just seems kind of perfect for authors who write heartwarming books!

      Delete
  4. My good news is spending a few days with my daughter and grands (great and regular lol)! Not once did the little ones cry or argue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS good news for sure! So glad you had a good visit!

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea, Claire, and I love your hashtag. I search for positive videos to post on my FB page and sometimes it takes awhile to find something that really makes me smile. My good news this week is that I surprised my children with a road trip yesterday to visit their out-of-town cousins (and favorite playmates). Just when they thought they were getting dragged along on a shopping excursion, they said, "Hey, wait a minute. This is the freeway to Jack's house!" There was a lot of cheering and giggling and playing in the sprinkler for hours with their cousins. It was definitely a good news day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment