Sit Down Saturday: Virginia McCullough & Holiday Endings


Happy holiday season to all! The New Year is coming around again. Another twelve months to plan and enjoy—and sure to pass in the blink of an eye.

Right before Christmas I finished (yay!) A BRIDGE HOME, book 3 of my Back to Bluestone River series. It ends on the Fourth of July, which means all three books in the series end on a holiday: Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday), Christmas, and now the Fourth of July. I didn’t originally plan these holiday endings, but I’m glad it turned out that way. Ending a story on an important day makes it so easy for me to picture the characters “the day after” as they move ahead with all the changes in their day-to-day lives.   

In my latest release, THE CHRISTMAS KISS, wrapping up the romance with a proposal on a snowy Christmas Eve led me to imagine Emma and Parker enjoying a romantic New Year’s Eve. Plus, they had the long winter ahead on Hidden Lake and the beautiful bird sanctuary in the woods. (Romance for these two involves taking care of injured birds, which I realize is not everyone’s idea of a cozy evening.)  


A FAMILY FOR JASON ends on Thanksgiving. Ruby and Mike had just set the date for their wedding, New Year’s Eve at the covered bridge. (Reception indoors, by the way. No shivering in the snow during champagne toasts.) December 31 is a magical, if obviously arbitrary, mark dividing past and future. Sure enough, by the fall opening of THE CHRISTMAS KISS, Ruby and Mike are having a baby, who is a newcomer on the scene in A BRIDGE HOME.

A BRIDGE HOME is filled with new beginnings, and the story appropriately starts in January, when two high school friends, Amy and Eric, have just moved back to Bluestone River and have started new jobs. Amy’s little girl, Cassie, is in her new school—and most unhappy there.  But six months later, newness gave way to firsts. Amy participated in her first cycling race and has an opportunity to own her first business. Cassie made her first new friend, a child new to the school herself. Eric, a school principal, has his first house and says yes to his first chance to become a leader in Bluestone River, along with Amy.

When the story ends on the Fourth of July, I sighed a little over their long summer romance ahead, more new beginnings and firsts. Some days I can’t stop wondering what my Bluestone River friends are up to. And what are they doing for Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve this year? I realize not everyone understands mulling over the future holiday plans of fictional characters, but I know all of you do.

Have a wonderful 2020. May it be filled with all your heart’s desires!
 
***
   
Virginia loves the characters in her December release, A CHRISTMAS KISS, book 2 of series, BACK TO BLUESTONE RIVER. An author of both fiction and nonfiction books, she’s also a ghostwriter/editor and a coach for other authors at various stages of their careers. Her other Harlequin Heartwarming books include: A FAMILY FOR JASON, GIRL IN THE SPOTLIGHT, SOMETHING TO TREASURE, and LOVE, UNEXPECTED. She also writes award-winning women’s fiction, including THE JACKS OF HER HEART, AMBER LIGHT, ISLAND HEALING, THE JACKS OF HER HEART, and GRETA’S GRACE. All Virginia’s stories people who could be our family, friends, and neighbors. No matter what the books are about, they all explore themes of hope, healing, and plenty of second chances.  

You can add you name to Virginia’s mailing list at www.virginiamccullough.com and visit her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/virginia.mccullough.7 and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VEMcCullough

Comments

  1. I love the idea of ending a story on the eve of an important day, Virginia. So many possibilities! Congrats on finishing “A Bridge Home” and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I may end more books that way, even my WF. You have a great 2020 as well.

      Delete
  2. Ending at a holiday is kind of the ultimate happily ever after, isn't it? Congratulations, Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does add to the celebratory atmosphere that ends our kind of books. Thanks. You have a happy 202

      Delete
  3. I think it's perfect that your books end on holidays, and I totally understand about mulling over their future plans. I wish certain characters I've created or read could send me a Christmas card with a picture of their families and a few lines about their year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Beth, I think you've given me a blog idea. It's great fun to imagine what my characters would report. I know one couple is soon heading to Hawaii...they were older and self-employed, so they could take off in the winter. I'd like an old fashioned postcard. I think another pair had another baby which makes 4 kids, the ones they each brought to the relationship and their two new ones! And that's just a start. Thanks. Happy 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the endings at holidays. It must have been a push to get everything done with Christmas busy-ness and writing at the same time. That season always has extra at my office so there have been a few times I had a triple threat going. Congratulations and hope you have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I have very low key holidays myself, and my writing business goes on, holidays or not. But I do love the New Year -- really does feel like fresh starts. That means new books. Wishing you the best for 2020.

      Delete
  6. cross platform mobile app development

    Don't know how to search cross- platform mobile development company? Don't worry. In case you need a mobile development services such as android application development or iOS app development, cross- platform application development, then contact the best cross- platform mobile development company in USA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment