Just because...

 

It started back in April. I planted three seeds in a pot of soil, watered it, and waited. For three weeks or so, nothing happened. I'd almost given up when two seed leaves appeared. Another week later, a second seed sprouted. Before long, both plants produced heart-shaped true leaves and began to grow up the stake in the pot.

 


3 morning glory seeds

They grew, and grew, until they’d reached the top of the stake and reached for the rod that controls the window shades in my sun room. But still no flowers. Until today.

  

morning glories

 Morning Glories!

Planting seeds is an act of hope. Maybe the seeds won’t sprout. Maybe they will, but the sprouts will “damp off.” Maybe I’ll forget to water the pot and the plant will die. Maybe a wayward dog or child will knock it over and break the plant. But maybe, if all goes well, it will grow, and flower, and add beauty to the world.

Relationships are like that too. We meet a lot of people, plant lots of seeds, but the relationships only grow when we tend them. And like plants, relationships are at constant risk from neglect and outside forces. But if we’re lucky, and if we nurture them, they grow and bloom and make our lives beautiful.

August 27th is National Just Because Day, which makes it a great day to nurture those relationships. Send a card to someone you haven’t been with in a while. Call a relative. Make a family member’s favorite dinner. 

Celebrate! Just because…

 *******

Coming in November:

An Alaskan Family Christmas

A little mix-up…

Could make her Christmas wonderful!

Natalie Weiss is mortified. After mistaking handsome Tanner Rockford for his cousin, she’s followed him to rural Alaska. Now she’s stranded—until Tanner invites her to spend Christmas with his family in their rustic, cozy cabin. But in this idyllic winter wonderland, Natalie discovers the family she’s never had…and the love she never knew she needed. But what happens when they all discover why she’s really there?


Pre-order at AMAZON   B&N   HARLEQUIN   KOBO   APPLE    TARGET


Comments

  1. I like the idea of a National Just Because Day, though as you imply Beth, giving and tending relationships can be any day...just because. More important than ever nowadays too. Your new release sounds wonderful and love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. Yes, any day is a good day for giving.

      Delete
  2. I love your Morning Glory! It's beautiful. And thank you for sharing about National Just Because Day! That's a great concept, and so important right now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could all use a little extra love and appreciation, couldn't we?

      Delete
  3. I love the morning glory AND the "just because" premise! Thanks for sharing it. Not wishing these beautiful summer days away, but looking forward to An Alaskan Family Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, hard to believe Christmas is coming, and it won't be that long.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous flowers. I planted some morning glories decades ago when I had back yard with a back fence. We so enjoyed them. Anyway, there's something really appealing about your new book title. Who could resist the idea of an Alaskan Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that was gorgeous with a whole fence covered with morning glories. I liked the title, too. It wasn't one I came up with, but it's perfect for the story. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. How can anyone not be hopeful when you see those gorgeous blooms! Thank you for sharing and for reminding me to let people know in love them, just because!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers! I love the idea of Just Because Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Just Because" sounds like a great day. Your morning glories are gorgeous. I've never planted petunias by seed, but tried this year. I've been watching my plants and starting to wonder if they aren't really petunias, they look so odd. Now they seemed to be showing buds, so they may be in my next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Petunias from seed either. I'll bet they'll be beautiful!

      Delete
  8. Indeed, a good relationship generally doesn't happen just by accident. I love the picture of your morning glories. I used to live in a town where a carport was covered with them every year. I always enjoyed driving or walking past that house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that was morning glorious! (Okay, I'll go now.)

      Delete

Post a Comment