Sit Down Saturday with Leigh Riker

I can't believe it's nearly Thanksgiving--and so far, I have bought just one Christmas present! However, November is also the release month for MISTLETOE COWBOY, which features Willow Bodine and Cody Jones, meaning it's time first to celebrate this latest book in my Kansas Cowboys series. I'll shop later.

                                          The best Christmas gift...is a second chance with her!

Let's have a little fun today with Cody and Willow who are here to answer a few questions.

Interviewer: First, and it's a big one, Cody has a reputation as a bad boy. What do you like about him?

Willow: Well, of course he's handsome, but Cody also has a heart of gold. A few years ago, he and I were an item in our little town of Barren, Kansas. But then, he got into some trouble--

Cody (looking remorseful): Let me explain. I helped steal some cattle--dumb decision--then torched a barn, ditto, which landed me in Navarro Correctional Facility. Bad Boy didn't begin to describe me then, but I'm a changed man now. I want to make it up to the people I hurt, especially Willow. I came back to town to win her love again.

Interviewer: But aren't you too late? Willow's engaged to Thad Nesbitt who's a pillar of the community while you've been less than a solid citizen.

Willow: That happened way too fast! Thad proposed in my favorite restaurant with other people there, and I couldn't even think of saying no in public. Now I'm wearing his ring. To my family he seems perfect--

Cody: He's also the prosecutor who sent me to prison. I know Thad appeals to your parents, your overly protective brothers, but give me a chance, Willow. I'm going to start a business training horses, as I did in prison. I'd start with Diva, the mustang I'd like to adopt. That's a good thing, right?

Willow: I love horses too, maybe the first bond I shared with Cody. Sometimes I wonder if we could have trained horses together like we've been doing lately. But what would people say? My mom's already planning a huge party to announce my engagement. Everything's spiraling out of control. I've known Thad all my life, I do love him...

Cody: Like a husband--or a brother? You'd really spend the rest of your life with that guy? He's not what he seems. I may not be perfect but...

Interviewer: Um, Willow, as the daughter of a wealthy rancher, you are the Bodine princess. Thad's the son of a powerful state politician. He has a bright future ahead. That's a match made in heaven. The town is buzzing. Have you set a wedding date?

Willow (biting her lip): I'd love to get married at Christmas. Thad's not sure that's the right time for him, though. We're still talking.

Cody (losing patience): Angel, he's a jerk. Why can't you see that?

Willow: Thad may have a few quirks but he's a good man--

Cody: A better man than I am? I'm trying, though, Willow. Do you really love him as much as you once said you loved me?

Willow (near tears): I did love you, but I can't turn my back on my family, this town and their expectations for me...even if I--I still love you.

Interviewer (taken aback): Aw, that's sweet (Throat clearing). I'm so sorry, that's all the time we have today. I hope everything works out. For both of you.

Cody (having brightened at Willow's words): So do I. Man, so do I...

I hope you enjoyed this interview. MISTLETOE COWBOY is out now. And I really need to make that shopping list.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Happy Reading.






Comments

  1. I love this exchange, Leigh! Willow really got herself into a tight corner, didn't she? I'm eager to find out how she gets out of it and I already know I want Cody to win. Congrats on this new release and looking forward to finding the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Janice! Willow is indeed in a tight spot. I had great fun trying to get her out--and to deserve her happy ending with Cody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great exchange. Looking forward to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the exchange. Looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Can't wait to read the story. And I've only bought one present, as well, but Christmas is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to this one, Leigh. Your stories are always terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This exchange is so real. Thanks for sharing. And like everyone else, I wanna see how she gets out of this one and how Cody redeems himself to the whole town. That's tough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment